Think I am ok with this but not sure

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Love Hikvision cameras and have 12 of them wired to a 7716 NVR. I have a tractor shed a few hundred feet away with power. Kids recently took a few things and wife feels less secure now. Looking to put a camera down there but do not look forward to trenching in cable. I can get a weak wifi signal on my IPhone at the shed. Here is the question -- can I use a wired Hik camera and a TL-WA7210N to covert to a wireless camera. My little bit of research makes me think that I just plug the camera into the wireless AP thru the RJ45 connection and using the AP address I can connect the camera to my NVR.

Yes? No? Have another crown and coke? Or jump to tequila?

Last edited by a moderator:

LaurentR

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It should work. You don't necessarily need a PoE outdoor AP, but that will work. You just need to put the AP in bridge mode and you should view your Hik camera. On your LAN. Note that the Hik camera will have its own IP address as if it is on the LAN, it won't be the AP (bridge) IP address. The AP address is just for AP management purposes, a bit like a managed Ethernet switch.

Note that, as with any wifi connection, YMMV on connection reliability and you will likely get occasional disconnections. For best results, you can buy a pair of those TP-Links, put them on their own wifi channel different from your main wifi, and orient them so that they face each other.

CodeGreen

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You can also give the powerline ethernet adapters a shot. I have 1 camera hookes up and streams 1080 fine,

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 for powerline adapters. I've got 2 cams (4MP total @ 10fps) running over PLA's and they have been rock-solid.
thing is that not all connections between possible plug-in points will work well, so you need to try em and see if they'll work
where you have electrical outlets. best if both PLA's are on the same leg/circuit and don't have too many wall warts
plugged in at the endpoints or in between...