Thinking of getting a refurbished for BI

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hello all...

As the title states, thinking of a refurbished Dell Optiplex, or HP, for BI. My setup would be 12+ cams (most likely hit 16-20 before all done), with a Dahua 5216-16p-4ks2e and then the BI computer.

Would something like this work DellOptiplex ? Or would a 7050 work better?
I'm looking for the ability to put in at least 1 HD, along with maybe putting in a 2nd NIC if I decide to have the computer access to the internet.

Really just thinking about things at the moment. I have a few other plans in my mind that I'm thinking about as well, so we'll see what happens.

Thanks for any info

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That optiplex will work, but it's more than twice the price of what you can obtain on Ebay.

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't mind paying a bit more for the better cpu, storage capacity, and ability to add storage, NIC down the road. The SFF looks like a really tight fit?

Dependable seller is also a concern.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
The Dell are good machines. I have that same 7040 tower and it's worked well. But they only have one place to mount a 3.5" drive even in the tower. There's lots of physical space inside but only one spot made to hold a full-sized drive. You could roll your own as far as sticking something in there in some way. The HP EliteDesk have a second spot if that's something that you want.

As looney said, you can do a lot better on the price.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The Dell are good machines. I have that same 7040 tower and it's worked well. But they only have one place to mount a 3.5" drive. Even in the tower, there's lots of physical space inside but only one spot made to hold a full-sized drive. You could roll your own as far as sticking something in there in some way. The HP EliteDesk have a second spot if that's something that you want.

As looney said, you can do a lot better on the price.
I see. So on this 7040, I'd just take that one out, put in a purple WD. What about the windows system then? Can you transfer that onto the new HD without any license problems, or?

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
7040 has a socket for NVMe. Use that for the OS and BI. Put the video files on the purple.

Also has a spot ready for another 2.5" SSD if you wanted to do that instead/in addition.

Do a clean install of the OS. Windows will pick up the serial from the BIOS during install. Nothing needs to be transfered.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
7040 has a socket for NVMe. Use that for the OS and BI. Put the video files on the purple.

Also has a spot ready for another 2.5" SSD if you wanted to do that instead/in addition.

Do a clean install of the OS. Windows will pick up the serial from the BIOS during install. Nothing needs to be transfered.
Thanks for the info. Think I'm still going to look for at least a 8th gen i7 or i9, just for the ability to upgrade to win 11 if really needed. I don't expect the need, but... :)

So if anyone sees a 8th or newer, from a reliable seller, feel free to holler.
Thanks all

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
here is what I'm running at the condo. It streams 18 cams plus when needed another 12 from a DVR. at 23% usuallly about 14%
Windows update had reminded me that I was eligible to Upgrade to W 11.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
lol.. thanks for all the hits. I'll peruse the listings and see what's what.

ipc824

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That optiplex will work, but it's more than twice the price of what you can obtain on Ebay.

Do you know off-hand if I can throw a NVME into this one? The only downside to this one is having to buy 2 drives. One SSD or NVME, and then a PURPLE 3.5.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yes, O h wait . the 6700 box? it's right on the cusp of nvme tech being standard issues.
M.2 style SSD or whatever they call it Nvme m.2

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score