Thinking of replacing wireless IP webcam (FI9804w)

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have one of the Foscam 9804 cameras that has been working for around 4 years, and still works well but starting to show it's age. It's installed in an area that is fully exposed to weather, sun, heat etc. After some precip, the camera lens appears to get hazed over by condensation; likely moisture making it's way inside the unit. After a few days it disappears and image is fine again. Eventually this moisture will likely cause issues in the circuit board(s) etc, so it will likely require replacement soon.
This camera connects to the local wifi lan directly, and I have power running to the camera from an outlet 50-60ft away and the wall-wart in a moisture-proof connection box. I really don't like running power up to the camera, so an IP camera. There is a building about 100ft away from the camera location, and power source is at the opposite end of the building where I have another wifi camera pointing in a different direction. I am thinking I can install a Ubiquity radio and connect both cameras to it via ethernet through a dumb POE switch.

My question is: I would require almost 200' of ethernet cable to power a POE/IP camera. Would this be feasible? Recommendations?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If i understand correctly, yes it should be.
The rating for cat 5e is 100 meters.
Poe has the same spec, 100 meters.

Reactions: GFM

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am a bit concerned with the POE, I do have longer runs (100m or more) cat6e connecting other buildings that works perfectly, but these are only data to a switch already powered. Suppose one could take a POE camera with PTZ and IR for an example for wattage, and multiply that about 1.5 for headroom and compare wire guage capacity/length.
Found this calculator:
"hxxps://www.poetexas.com/pages/poe-calculator"

Looks like I would gain almost .75 volts at the load end using cat6e over cat5e, with a load of 22 watts and 802.3at rated supply (48V).

Wonder if a POE switch with some "smarts" would adjust the voltage upwards a bit to compensate for cable resistance? Likely cost more than what it's worth...

GFM

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Spent a bit of tThinking of going with something like the Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z, and shows only 11.5 watts, so I think we are for sure ok at 200' cat5e. Will post in the Dahua forum regarding this camera.
Thank you for your info fellows!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Spent a bit of tThinking of going with something like the Dahua IPC-HFW5231E-Z, and shows only 11.5 watts, so I think we are for sure ok at 200' cat5e. Will post in the Dahua forum regarding this camera.
Thank you for your info fellows!
The draw does not matter as long as it is specd correctly....poe+ (at) can provide 25w....over 328f and in your case af will supply more than enough power...