This camera just looks like fun...

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get the camera mounted this weekend and have some clips to share.
Had to take my wife to the hospital and that kind of... well... trumped my plans.

Hope to spend some time some evening this week on it, since there is possible rain in the forecast for Sat/Sun.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
anyone tried this beast? =D
http://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cKTvhQ7W[/QUOTE] [url]https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/8094-Buylog-2015-20X-Optical-Zoom-IR-150M-High-Speed-Dome-Full-HD1080P-Auto-Tracking

lgRich

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sorry I didn't get the camera mounted this weekend and have some clips to share.
Had to take my wife to the hospital and that kind of... well... trumped my plans.

Hope to spend some time some evening this week on it, since there is possible rain in the forecast for Sat/Sun.
Hi JMartin,

Did you have made some progress with your new cameras?

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sort of...

Camera is now mounted on corner bracket and painted to match the house... albeit the house has faded a bit from this new paint.
Split off the Cat5 cable behind the TV upstairs and mounted a 4-port switch where this camera will attach to the network.
Got a junction box with PoE injector/splitter and Cat5e cable siliconed in-line just short of the camera, and now it's ready to hang.

Climbed up on the roof Sunday to take a look... phew... it's a long way up.
I'm going to play it safe and wait for my son to give me a hand.
Someone needs to hang over the top of the chimney while someone secures the screws/bolts on the corner bracket.
My ladder is just way to short to reach any of this from the ground.

I have another three-day weekend coming up, but also have to take my wife in for follow up from today's MRI.
Somewhere in that time I should be able to get this installed.

Thanx for everyone's patience.

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Watch it when on high ladder I learned the hard way last summer. I fell pretty high and broke two ribs real bad pain for months and don't ask about sneezing.

Last edited by a moderator:

springheal

n3wb
Reaction score
Watch it when on high ladder I learned the hard way last summer. I feel pretty high and broke two ribs real bad pain for months and don't ask about sneezing
Sneezing and/or laughing!!

I had the same happen years ago (fell of a 2 storey roof). Damaged ribs are a bugger.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just a few weeks ago I was installing two new high-tech garage door openers... I was standing with one foot on a small folding table and one foot on my sturdy, new, 6' fiberglass ladder, holding the opener overhead with my left hand, and a power screwdriver with a screw wobbling in the barely magnetic bit in my right hand.
You guess which support mechanism (hint - the one made of particle board) broke in half and sent this 55 year old to the concrete floor.
Never saw it coming. And I can't imagine something that stupid happening again while 35' up another ladder.

Nope. Not takin' the chance.

I'll keep you posted here.
If I don't... it's because I DID fall off the ladder. :)

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
damn guys, you old folks need to take it ez..

mount the corner bracket to the house without the camera first, trying to drill the pilot holes for the lag bolts and getting it all attached with a PTZ hanging off it is gonna suck... then take it down and put the ptz back on the bracket once you have some holes up there to sink into.

run a rope/wire down from above with a carabiner on the end so you can hang the whole rig up from the end without risking dropping it while your bolting and wiring it up.. I used the carabiner as a pully and used another rope to pull the ptz up to the proper height then tied it to the ladder.

I soldered and shrink wrapped my PTZ up, you should try doing that at the top rung of a flimsy ladder you borrow from a neighbor.. I admit I was sweating bullets and my anxiety was through the roof.. if you solder you know how useful a 3rd hand would be, well at the top of a ladder you need 4-5 hands :)

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
damn guys, you old folks need to take it ez..
Yes. We do.

mount the corner bracket to the house without the camera first, trying to drill the pilot holes for the lag bolts and getting it all attached with a PTZ hanging off it is gonna suck... then take it down and put the ptz back on the bracket once you have some holes up there to sink into.
I actually intended to use a couple drywall screws temporarily, then, since the holes in the mount are oval and large, I'll sink a lag next to it for strength. Easy peasy. (or so it sounds)
Upon further thought - inspired by your conversation - I may make a template out of cardboard, use that to define the holes, pre-drill and then run the lags in a bit first.
I've already got the camera mounted and waterproofed to the bracket, and don't really want to split them apart.

run a rope/wire down from above with a clip on the end so you can hang the whole rig up from the end without risking dropping it while your bolting and wiring it up.
There is no "above" it's the highest point on the house, but I get your drift. My son, Cody, will be the rope from above.

I soldered and shrink wrapped my PTZ up, you should try doing that at the top rung of a flimsy ladder you borrow from a neighbor.. I admit I was sweating bullets and my anxiety was through the roof.
Everything is pre-wired and water tight at this point. I used another one of these.

Thanx for the advice.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought a mini rolling scaffold for all my low work and wow what a great tool to have for us old guys. Great for a mitre stand saw when I am not doing something off the ground.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/MetalTech-Job-Site-Series-6-3-8-ft-x-4-ft-x-2-1-2-ft-Scaffold-900-lb-Load-Capacity-I-IMIS/203504541
That's cool. Now if I could just find one about thirty feet tall and could lean over about 8-10 feet, that would be perfect.
I've thought about just renting a man-lift for a week or so and going ahead and painting the upper portions of the house while I had it... but then I fixed myself another Mai-Tai and completely forgot the idea. :cool:

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I will be in same boat when I need to go up there and install either two of the 10x v2 or the one you have. I have already capped chimney with a wooden top which will allow pretty easy install in whatever direction I need to go. The chimney is no longer in use as I updated furnace to high efficiency and the bricks would rot away if I did nothing over time. Not looking forward to the ladder crawl as they still scare me if I decide to place it on the front facing driveway. I am curious about the tilt up on horizon as it seems some really don't allow a sky shot but I believe that one is -5 which I think will allow it some what. Again be safe and good luck.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
... I am curious about the tilt up on horizon as it seems some really don't allow a sky shot but I believe that one is -5 which I think will allow it some what. Again be safe and good luck.
I'd swear I stumbled across a thread/post/article somewhere that there was a way (on some cameras) to override the factory default and set it to -10, but now of course I can't find it anywhere. It appears that when the camera is at its highest upward view, there is still some room for slight additional travel.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Found it.
Not sure if it applies to my camera, but I'll try it when I get it hooked back up.

How to unlock extra Tilt on your PTZ Speed Dome:

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I will say one thing about the Bosch camera I do like. Once you mount the power box the camera has two clips that become a hinge. Then you can wire it and lock it up while it is open. I did not want to fall off the 25ft ladder I was on and the camera was a heavy thing.
View attachment 20160331_163109.jpg20160331_163054.jpg

Jack B Nimble

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Bump.. already bought the imporx v2 10x just so I could try a PTZ. Still very interested in your install and hope all is well.

JMartin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I hope to get this camera off my garage bench and out on the side of the house this holiday weekend.
Taking my wife to a doctors appointment today... that will determine the rest of the weekend.
Thank you for your concern (and the bump). :)