This car headlamp has cryptographic keys that restrict repair. HEADLIGHTS DO NOT NEED CRYPTOGRAPHY!! : Louis Rossmann

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This car headlamp has cryptographic keys that restrict repair. HEADLIGHTS DO NOT NEED CRYPTOGRAPHY!!
Louis Rossmann

1723698655645.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Loosely related, some cars headlights are connected to the canbus. Supposedly, after ripping out a headlight, a car thief can connect to the bus to unlock the doors, start the engine, etc. With the proper equipment of course.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I recently experienced an issue similar to Louis' ceiling fan issue that he mentioned beginning at 6:49. I had 2 surface mount ceiling lights in a hallway, each was a single bulb fixture for one standard Edison-base (E27) bulb. My wife has macular degeneration and I decided to double the available light output and instead of installing two twin bulb fixtures I purchased two fixtures with a proprietary LED bulb rated in lumens above what two 60 watt bulbs would be.

Bad mistake. They were great for about 2 years then one began flickering and within a month it was like being in a late 70's disco. Had it been a standard fixture with two E27 sockets I would have spent a couple of bucks for a quality, UL-approved LED bulb and made the repair in a matter of minutes. I might as well have flushed $30 down the toilet along with a half hour installation time by installing that Home Depot proprietary LED bulb fixture.

BTW, I purchased TWO standard twin E27 bulb fixtures and proactively changed out the remaining, non-malfunctioning unit instead of waiting for it to fail like the first one. I figured it would fail at the worst possible time. :cool:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
On another note, I believe what Louis speaks about is akin to Toyota's decision to begin charging a subscription fee for remote start of their vehicles. :mad:

Until consumers begin protesting with their wallets, this shit will continue and will get worse.

elvisimprsntr

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Prevent theft and piracy.

Same argument broadcasters are using to justify DRM on ATSC 3.0 OTA broadcasts. The real motive is to push cord cutters to paid TV services, where the broadcasters receive huge amounts of $ from retransmission fees.

You want to find the truth in anything, follow the $.