This "chip" shortage is frustrating

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I see your abacus and raise you Digi-Comp! Yes, I had one... ;)

View attachment 102840
I wasn’t aware of this device before you posted it. Thanks for sharing it was a nice read.

When I sit back to where man started to where we are now. Just think the cheapest smart phone can do and offer all of us incredible tools and methods to communicate!

Imagine if we could send back a smart phone to the ancient pyramid days?!?

The temples would never get built as they all would be playing donkey Kong / making tik tok videos!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
^^^^ Yeah, but that phone wouldn't work very well without cell towers every five miles or so.

I still have my original calculator, ten fingers and ten toes!

On a more serious note this whole chip shortage is getting out of hand. I can’t say whether it’s due to factories seeing personnel being sick vs what others have said is plain hoarding.

It’s probably a combination of both along with some industries just slow rolling (blue flu) to let the demand rise to increase their profits.

We all saw this with timber where common 2 X 4 were easily 2-4 times more expensive because factories just cut down production!!

Now there’s a glut of wood products in the system and prices have either gone back to pre bull shit prices or have dropped lower.

Been reading about how lots of people are waiting months for appliances that span fridges, stoves, dishwasher etc. It’s funny because (not really) the vast majority of these appliances don’t have very many IC ‘s when you compare to say a A/V system??

Yet TV, Stereo, what ever are flying off the shelf and these makers have no problem getting these chips or IC etc? I could understand if it was some very specific IC but people are saying this problem covers old to new IC tech ??

I’m having a really hard time believing that’s the case vs people are just gaming the system to push up prices for the same.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
Commodore 64 for me. I think I was in middle school at the time. We started out with the tape drive, but eventually got the disk drive and then some sort of cartridge ROM thing. Oh, and the dot matrix printer too. It was like watching an automated typewriter.

I learned to program code (very basic code) on that thing.