THIS is why I wanted an auto-tracking PTZ.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
It seems that the PTZ is mounted relatively high - roof level (which makes sense - you want to have an overview and zoom in where needed).
But still you got a clear view of his face, how is it possible (I see the optical zoom, but still)?
Yes it is mounted on the second floor soffit, approximately 20ft up.

It is a game of height versus distance. The higher you go, the more the angle flattens out at distance. If he were further away, it would be better. If he were closer, it would be worse.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This exactly is why a PTZ to an already reinforced fixed cam system on a house is useful and a great compliment.

In this case it was simply a neighbor, but in the future it might be a perp scoping the neighborhood or even a first time perp at night that either saw your cameras or decided to avoid the all lit up house, so he skips your house but continues to door check your neighbors.

Now you catch them doing this and probably at some point a clean capture of their face and help your neighbors out.

I wish my neighbors would offer some money when I save them money by having useful video LOL. My system has literally recovered thousands of dollars worth of stolen stuff or repairs for parked cars hit. Even 10% of the value of the damage would add up LOL.
Sell them your Video :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I monitor the sidewalks and front entrances across both streets (corner lot).

It may not seem intuitive but it's still protecting your perimeter. I've seen people at night stopped and looking at my house from across the street. They don't realize the coverage that a short focal length can achieve.

My goal, which I'm getting to, is recognize up to 20m from my property and identify, with face captures, within 10m. I review the face captures daily and save any interesting ones on an external HD.

My concern is foot traffic as opposed to vehicular traffic. The thieves here in Cuba often scope out during the day when there's lots of foot traffic and then return at night. Not unusual to send an older person to scope out houses so everyone is a potential suspect.
Guess I don't know how a Thief thinks, what are they scoping out?

Back in the day they would go to a house pretending to sell something so they could look inside your house when you opened your door.

When we moved in our neighborhood, now a decade ago, a neighbor approached us and said they were having a problem with break-ins, oh great we just bought the house :), anyway what was happening is the thieves, several of them, would drive up to your house posing as a Lawn Crew, trailer and all, while one of them would mow your front yard, the rest of them would go to your backyard and break in. They would load your stuff in the black bags lawn crews use and load their trailer. Actually that was pretty clever, glad that stopped. I told all our new neighbors, I mow my own lawn. :)

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand tracking one person but how does it do with a group? Like a Lawn Crew for a test? It seems now a days there are more than just one Thief.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understand tracking one person but how does it do with a group? Like a Lawn Crew for a test? It seems now a days there are more than just one Thief.
That is why you have more than 1 PTZ lol

Between a well thought out fixed camera system, complimented with PTZs, you will capture most of them.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is why you have more than 1 PTZ lol

Between a well thought out fixed camera system, complimented with PTZs, you will capture most of them.
So Track this, LOL Funny but one guy was grabbing condoms, hahaha

Maybe that is a good thing, stop reproducing more Thieves…

Sure was a small store though, how do you gets hundreds inside LOL

Lastly, love how the News always says “Caught on Camera”, NO the idiot Thieves were filming themselves.

Last edited:

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
Guess I don't know how a Thief thinks, what are they scoping out?

Back in the day they would go to a house pretending to sell something so they could look inside your house when you opened your door.

When we moved in our neighborhood, now a decade ago, a neighbor approached us and said they were having a problem with break-ins, oh great we just bought the house :), anyway what was happening is the thieves, several of them, would drive up to your house posing as a Lawn Crew, trailer and all, while one of them would mow your front yard, the rest of them would go to your backyard and break in. They would load your stuff in the black bags lawn crews use and load their trailer. Actually that was pretty clever, glad that stopped. I told all our new neighbors, I mow my own lawn. :)
Different country, different thieves. The ones here are primarily cat burglars so they're trying to find a way to get up to on the terrace or balcony as I'm on the second floor and the entrance off the street is locked up tight. The liberal application of both barbed wire and concertina wire have prevented any recent attempts. We had a solar reflector stolen last summer when someone got up to my floor. Won't happen again.

As they do in your neck of the woods, people posing as health inspectors, sales, etc is becoming more common. We simply don't allow anyone in unless they show both their regular ID and work ID in the video doorbell (Dahua VTO) first. Front and back. The VTO records audio and video 24/7.

Working on my BoobieCam setup for the front entrance. I think I have a way to hide it properly and I'm working hiding the wiring. Wife doesn't know I have it so when it's ready, I'll put it up while she's at work and see if she notices. She'll notice the object I'm using to hide it but won't notice the BoobieCam. It's job will just be face detection for people coming in off the street and people leaving the house. This camera is perfect for this setup with two lenses. It runs a bit hot but I should be able to mitigate that when I install it. Also need to keep the rain off of it but I don't think that will be a major issue either.

Timokreon

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Just another reason I'm putting more PTZ on my house. It may not stop anyone from breaking in, but it does give people pause.
Add to that my security system, night lighting, and exercising my 2nd Amendment right while on my property, and word gets around to criminals.

Do you want to attempt breaking into a house with all that, or do you want to go down the street where they have none of that?

People posing as power, cable, companies has also gotten worse around here. I've always asked for I.D. from anyone who came into my house, which caused confusion and bent feelings several times, but I don't care.
You come onto my property, I want to know who you are. One gentleman from the cable company refused to show any I.D, including his work I.D.... yeah, he went bye-bye.

David L

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just another reason I'm putting more PTZ on my house. It may not stop anyone from breaking in, but it does give people pause.
Add to that my security system, night lighting, and exercising my 2nd Amendment right while on my property, and word gets around to criminals.

Do you want to attempt breaking into a house with all that, or do you want to go down the street where they have none of that?

People posing as power, cable, companies has also gotten worse around here. I've always asked for I.D. from anyone who came into my house, which caused confusion and bent feelings several times, but I don't care.
You come onto my property, I want to know who you are. One gentleman from the cable company refused to show any I.D, including his work I.D.... yeah, he went bye-bye.
Fully Agree.