Thoughts on new DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 4MP PTZ?

popica

n3wb
Reaction score
That sounds like a faulty network connection.
Do you get the same using another LAN cable?
I've used a short cable to test and still the same problem. Fps drops after a while.

I don't know for sure - but it looks like this firmware covers model series including yours :
No, there are no updates for this model, not even using the batch tool. Btw, you've put a link to other model. This is the one we are talking about 4 MP 4x IR Outdoor Network PTZ Camera

Last edited:

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just bought a brace of these (Hikvision branded) for UK£114 each which I think is a steal for this feature set. Daylight image is excellent. Night vision is so-so. PTZ remote operation is responsive and very quick to focus. Compact form factor is great as I was hunting for a small unit. I found firmware at the Hikvision repository. I did see a spot of condensation inside the dome on initial boot-up but I left the camera running for a couple of days and it cured itself.

I don't like the instructions for getting inside the dome to insert an SD card. Guide says to use a flat screwdriver to lever up the black IR cover but mine resists and looks like it would be damaged if I applied force. So any tips welcome.

popica

n3wb
Reaction score
Just bought a brace of these (Hikvision branded) for UK£114 each which I think is a steal for this feature set. Daylight image is excellent. Night vision is so-so. PTZ remote operation is responsive and very quick to focus. Compact form factor is great as I was hunting for a small unit. I found firmware at the Hikvision repository. I did see a spot of condensation inside the dome on initial boot-up but I left the camera running for a couple of days and it cured itself.

I don't like the instructions for getting inside the dome to insert an SD card. Guide says to use a flat screwdriver to lever up the black IR cover but mine resists and looks like it would be damaged if I applied force. So any tips welcome.
Hi, I am retarded... I haven't read this "Note:Versions before 5.6.11 must be upgraded to 5.6.11 and then to versions above 5.6.11.txt " and tried to upgrade to 5.6.14 directly, that is why it wasn't working. Now after upgrading it seems the camera functions properly. Thank you!

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

popica

n3wb
Reaction score
Great! Now maybe you could help me to get inside this camera to insert an SD card? Have a go.
There is a small hole where you need to insert the screwdriver and then follow gently across the line between the black plastic cover and camera body. After removing the black plastic you'll find 4 screws.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks - done it now but not without some minor damage which might impair the seal. Applying force to a narrow fulcrum on a thin plastic component is a bad idea.

Also, inserting the SD card requires a pair of forensic tweezers and the fingers of a tiny person.

So, less happy with this camera than I was. I'm going to have to apply waterproof sealant around all the joins and hope I never have to open it up again.

Encryptme

n3wb
Reaction score
What is very strange is my firmware version is higher than the official site:

Clipboard01.jpg

I use curl and leave in colour at night and slow the shutter down to let more light in, I do have a bit of street lighting here and it’s fairly motion free too so works well for me.
I would really like to have this setting, but I'm unsure how to do it. If I change the exposure it makes the fps very low, please can you post your settings so i can give it a go?

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What is very strange is my firmware version is higher than the official site:

View attachment 51897
Those are the exact versions that my camera shows (purchased from B&H Photo back in September). Is it safe to upgrade further to those in the archives referred to above (those are marked "Netherlands" at the top of the page)?

Encryptme

n3wb
Reaction score
Those are the exact versions that my camera shows (purchased from B&H Photo back in September). Is it safe to upgrade further to those in the archives referred to above (those are marked "Netherlands" at the top of the page)?
I did and it worked fine.

I used the firmware from here: DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3

Just scroll down to the bottom right side.

Craig Conrad

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I did and it worked fine.

I used the firmware from here: DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3

Just scroll down to the bottom right side.
When I go to that link, and click on "Firmware Download", it gives me a file named "IPD_R7_EN_STD_5.6.0_190128.zip", which contains a "digicap.dav" dated 28 Jan 2019. That version (5.6.0) is older than the version currently on my camera (5.6.11) and the date (190128) is older than the date on on my camera (190426).

Do you get a newer firmware when you go to that page? Perhaps the site is serving different pages for different regions.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi, I am retarded... I haven't read this "Note:Versions before 5.6.11 must be upgraded to 5.6.11 and then to versions above 5.6.11.txt " and tried to upgrade to 5.6.14 directly, that is why it wasn't working. Now after upgrading it seems the camera functions properly. Thank you!
@popica this FW has just been updated to V5.6.15_Build191211.

Btw, both of my DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 cams are suffering with the low fps reported by you and others. Did you find a cure? I'm thinking I may have to send them back. What I have observed is this:

1. After a reboot, both cams will usually run at 25fps for a few minutes and then start dropping quickly to settle at around 4fps, sometimes just 1fps.
  2. I can force the fps higher by using the PTZ controls - sometimes back to 25fps while panning; but it drops back as soon as the camera comes to rest.
  3. This lulled me into thinking that the frame rate would automatically increase when there was a lot of movement in the scene - but that is not the case.
  4. All my other Hikvision cameras, including two other PTZs, run at 25fps all the time, regardless of conditions [I have plenty of gigabit bandwidth and I don't record continuously so that's how I like it].
  5. There are no combinations of bitrate, resolution, codec, frame rate, P frame, smoothing, computing platform, network protocol, rebooting or tearing my hair out which make the slightest difference - apart from the aforementioned panning.
  6. Initially only one camera was afflicted as the other ran for a couple of weeks at 25fps, but it too then degraded to typically 1fps.
  7. My CCTV installer has twice tried to cure the problem but the initial 25fps after a reboot soon deteriorated again.
  8. The attached screenshot of live view stats, courtesy of SecuritySpy, illustrates the problem.

So, if you did find a cure, please, please shout it out!
DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 fps.png

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Further testing shows that the frame rate of the DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 can be restored by hitting the soft Restore to Default button, whereafter the camera will deliver live view at full frame rate as long as I don't configure any motion/smart event recordings [to the SD card]. Within moments of setting up motion or event parameters the frame rate drops to 1-5fps and only improves when panning. If this is the major bug that it appears to be, I can't fathom why the new v5.6.15 firmware didn't fix it.

normel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do not place this DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 model where it gets rain, defenitely NOT ip 66. Seen many cases in which it gets rain inside. Rubber inside has issues.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hikvision didn't have any solution for the frame rate bug except not to use the Storage Lite feature. Poor show. If they know that feature is buggy they should fix it.

lewic

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have this camera also. Hikvision along with many OEM's have this model. This camera has darkfighter. The IR is weak. The plastic mount is really cheap. Somebody can reach up and unhook it with a twist of the wrist. Picture quality is okay. This camera is not endless 360 like the higher end PTZ's. Only 330 degrees so will need to just go back and forth. There is NO smart tracking on this camera. That is a major disadvantage of this camera. Patrols and patterns will work. I use this camera with the IR turned off so basically locked in day mode so color 24 hours a day. Picture quality is the same as my other darkfighter cameras.

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess they need to differentiate: this is by far the cheapest outdoor Hikvision PTZ cam available in the UK (I paid £113 for it) so it can't have all the features of a model which is double the price. If I weren't so annoyed about the "Storage Lite" bug, I would be touting it as great value.

Encryptme

n3wb
Reaction score
I have this camera also. Hikvision along with many OEM's have this model. This camera has darkfighter. The IR is weak. The plastic mount is really cheap. Somebody can reach up and unhook it with a twist of the wrist. Picture quality is okay. This camera is not endless 360 like the higher end PTZ's. Only 330 degrees so will need to just go back and forth. There is NO smart tracking on this camera. That is a major disadvantage of this camera. Patrols and patterns will work. I use this camera with the IR turned off so basically locked in day mode so color 24 hours a day. Picture quality is the same as my other darkfighter cameras.
Are you able to screenshot your settings? I wasn't impressed with the quality of this camera or the security with the housing either. I would like to try your settings for night.

I guess they need to differentiate: this is by far the cheapest outdoor Hikvision PTZ cam available in the UK (I paid £113 for it) so it can't have all the features of a model which is double the price. If I weren't so annoyed about the "Storage Lite" bug, I would be touting it as great value.
What is the Storage Lite bug?

ipOsX

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is the Storage Lite bug?
It's a feature intended to facilitate continuous recording to the internal SD card by only recording at full frame rate when a motion event occurs, reducing to 1fps at other times. But when activated in the config, the live view is compromised and only delivers 1-3fps at all times, even when a motion event occurs.