Thoughts on sidewalk angle

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My money is on you will need the Z12 (especially for night), but you should get a good idea of if the angle looks good.

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, but I finally turned my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE turret (on the very corner of the house) and zoomed to 13.5mm just to test the angle before buying a bullet for LPR.

On this first photo, could you help crop it to show how much more zoomed in I'll need the new bullet to be and mark the likely sweet spot zone to get both lanes?
20200823_120200.jpg

Like this to get less of an angle for the traffic moving away from the camera?
20200823_121616.jpg

Below are a bunch of stills to show both directions of travel.
20200823_120350.jpg
20200823_120335.jpg
20200823_120302.jpg
20200823_120235.jpg
20200823_120522.jpg
20200823_120459.jpg
20200823_120145.jpg
20200823_120102.jpg
20200823_120023.jpg
20200823_115908.jpg

Thank you for all of you help!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Cj500 - looks like you nailed the right angle and zoom for what you would need for the Z-12

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, but I finally turned my IPC-HDW5231R-ZE turret (on the very corner of the house) and zoomed to 13.5mm just to test the angle before buying a bullet for LPR.
The angle looks ok to me. What do you think the angle is? What is the distance?

Since these were at 13.5mm, you might get by with the B5442E-Z4E. The plates would be a bout 2.5 times bigger. Or get the HFW5241E-Z12E and you will have plenty of zoom available.

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just to clarify, the screenshots still showing the sidewalk are already zoomed into 13.5mm. The other screenshots I just zoomed in more digitally to get an idea of what it might look like with a better LPR bullet.

Would I be able to get away with 32mm zoom?

I believe it's about 80 feet from lens to license plate (at red X). Roughly 35 to 40 degree angle.

The angle looks ok to me. What do you think the angle is? What is the distance?

Since these were at 13.5mm, you might get by with the B5442E-Z4E. The plates would be a bout 2.5 times bigger. Or get the HFW5241E-Z12E and you will have plenty of zoom available.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You might be able to get by with a 32mm zoom, but the B5442E-Z4E at 32mm zoom is same price as the HFW5241E-Z12E with 60mm zoom, so why not go with the higher zoom to be safe? You are better off not pushing the limits of the zoom as well. Plus, the Z12 is still the preferred LPR came here.

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is a B5442E-Z4E at 32mm and the plate is about 85 feet out. BUT it is straight out, no angle.
INTS.20200719_200627724_1.jpg

This one is about 75 feet out and straight shot.
INTS.20200719_200044974_1.jpg

With your high angle and foreshortened plates, it might be prudent to go with the HFW5241E-Z12E, unless you are willing to take the risk on the B5442E-Z4E and maybe have a place you could use it if it does not work out.

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@wittaj @samplenhold Thank you both! I'll start planning running another cable for it and then order.

Some people stole the catalytic converter from my wife's car and while I could see both cars involved from two angles, I wish I could have given the police some plate numbers too. Looking forward to setting up LPR soon.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Cj500 - this splitter works amazing. I and many here have used this with great success, not only for LPR but for other cams as well. Two small ethernet cables and you are in business!

(see below)

Last edited:

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Cj500 - this splitter works amazing. I and many here have used this with great success, not only for LPR but for other cams as well. Two small ethernet cables and you are in business!

There's also this POE splitter if a ethernet cable is already there. Just double check the power budget

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Oh yea, my bad I posted the wrong splitter LOL, but yes a POE splitter will be perfect there:

The only thing I don't know is that the POE splitter may not work with a POE NVR as I heard they can't support 2 cameras connection on the same physical port, so may need a separate POE switch in that case, but most often a POE switch is a better solution than another cable run

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Bitslizer - My neighbor used this splitter to put up his LPR camera next to his other camera and by the time we got back into his house, the NVR had already found it. He also added a PTZ with another one of these splitters and the same thing.

He has an 8 port Lorex NVR - ports 1 through 4 have a camera in each port. Port 5 has the two cameras from that run and splitter and Port 6 has the two cameras from that run and splitter. The NVR supplies enough power that he didn't need to an injector.

So he has 8 cameras but only 6 ports plugged into. Granted with it being an 8 port, he cannot use those two now as the NVR will only recognize 8 cameras.

If for some reason your NVR doesn't automatically find it, you simply add the camera manually. And if your POE NVR doesn't have the horsepower to run both, then add an injector for that run! He purchased the injector and we were both pleasantly surprised he didn't need it, so he gladly returned it!

One of the nice benefits of IP cameras!

Bitslizer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@Bitslizer - My neighbor used this splitter to put up his LPR camera next to his other camera and by the time we got back into his house, the NVR had already found it. He also added a PTZ with another one of these splitters and the same thing.

He has an 8 port Lorex NVR - ports 1 through 4 have a camera in each port. Port 5 has the two cameras from that run and splitter and Port 6 has the two cameras from that run and splitter. The NVR supplies enough power that he didn't need to an injector.

So he has 8 cameras but only 6 ports plugged into. Granted with it being an 8 port, he cannot use those two now as the NVR will only recognize 8 cameras.

If for some reason your NVR doesn't automatically find it, you simply add the camera manually.

Good to know! Thanks!

I'm planning my new house camera system and caught the specco/dahua 16 port poe NVR deal but the initial wiring was only for 8 so I have been looking into this splitter. 1 less thing to ups then if I don't have to use a poe switch

Cj500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm weighing my options between taking down the existing camera to reach the connector in the junction box for the splitter and running another line. I love the option if I can't easily get a fish rod through the same attic hole as the existing camera once I drill a hole right next to it for the LPR cam.

Oh yea, my bad I posted the wrong splitter LOL, but yes a POE splitter will be perfect there:

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Haha! I do wish I had a hydrant in front!

I may have come up with a solution. What if I replaced this camera on the very edge of house to shoot right over my driveway where no one can park in front of?

View attachment 67825
View attachment 67827
That angle looks like it will work with a varifocal bullet camera. Does it matter which direction the view should be? Many cars have no front plates in California these days, so one consideration might be the majority flow of traffic.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score

If for some reason your NVR doesn't automatically find it, you simply add the camera manually. And if your POE NVR doesn't have the horsepower to run both, then add an injector for that run! He purchased the injector and we were both pleasantly surprised he didn't need it, so he gladly returned it!

Hi wittaj, can you elaborate a bit on the use of a splitter to allow two cameras on one cable? In my case I have a UniFi PoE switch, with settings for either +24v passive or PoE. I assume that as long as the cameras need PoE then the switch will dish out whatever wattage is required.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
I use the same device @wittaj uses. I only have a 4 port PoE switch but needed a 5th camera so I use this device. Its a passive PoE powered that "splits" the power coming into it out two output devices. You still can't draw more power than your switch port has available. So, for instance, my switch ports can output 15w max. That little PoE "splitter" consumes 3w and then your other two output devices must consume less than 12w combined (which normally isn't an issue unless you have large PTZ cameras with IR emitters).

I have a Unifi Switch as well and mine is standard 802.3af. What is the exact switch model you have?

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
I use the same device @wittaj uses. I only have a 4 port PoE switch but needed a 5th camera so I use this device. Its a passive PoE powered that "splits" the power coming into it out two output devices. You still can't draw more power than your switch port has available. So, for instance, my switch ports can output 15w max. That little PoE "splitter" consumes 3w and then your other two output devices must consume less than 12w combined (which normally isn't an issue unless you have large PTZ cameras with IR emitters).

I have a Unifi Switch as well and mine is standard 802.3af. What is the exact switch model you have?
Hi biggie. (Darn auto correct in action!)

I have the UniFi 16 port 150W switch. Recently installed a Dahua dual cam for the backyard, for viewing two sides, but i would be interested in expanding the front yard coverage without having to crawl in the attic again to pull another cable.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@DLONG2 - as @biggen said - as long as your switch can output enough per port to run two cameras, you are good to go. Worse case is you add a cheap injector. I was shocked my neighbors Lorex NVR output enough to run the two and he was not upset about having to return the injector we thought he needed.

As mentioned though, make sure it can run day and night - the IR will pull more wattage. Mine and my neighbors we each run the cameras in color, so the IR usage isn't an issue.