Thoughts on these packages?

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with Lorex systems. Does anyone have a recommendation between these three systems? Ideally the system would be compatible with the NSC-DB2 from Nelly's but I don't think these NVR's will work with it? If not, the user can record to a NAS that's already installed.

16-Channel 4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with Four Metal 4K (8MP) Smart Deterrence Cameras and Four Metal 4K (8MP) Varifocal Zoom Lens Cameras

4K Ultra HD 16-Channel IP Security System with 8 Smart Deterrence 4K (8MP) Cameras, Smart Motion Detection and Smart Home Voice Control

16-Channel 4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with Six Metal 4K (8MP) Smart Deterrence Cameras and Six Metal 4K (8MP) Audio Varifocal Zoom Lens Cameras

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess I should've stated where it'll be installed. It'll be installed for residential in a rural area.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just a couple of general comments.

Generally, packages are repackaged "name brands" that have had features removed to get the price down. Sometimes that works out, sometimes it doesn't depending on each particular situation and individual.

Don't chase megapixels. All the systems you list are 8MP. There are very few 8MP cameras with good night vision that are in the under $1000 price per camera range. Given you state a "rural" area I'm guessing there's not a lot of street lighting or other supplemental lighting available which will further hinder night vision with an 8MP. Generally, claims of night vision and IR range are rather exaggerated. I gave a quick look at all three systems and none of them mention the sensor size. That is the critical number for night vision, no matter the resolution.

Another thing to watch is the supplied cables. Many times the supplied cables are CCA, copper clad aluminum, rather than solid copper. Over time that leads to problems that can be hard to trace.

Cameras with "active deterrence", white LED floods, that come on when motion is detected can produce questionable results. When the LED floods come on, the camera is blinded for up to a few seconds as the gain and iris auto adjust for the sudden change in lighting. A trade off some don't like, but some do.

One more comment. A 3TB drive won't hold all that much video, especially at 8MP.

I'd contact Andy at Empire Tech. He can probably set you up with a decent system at a reasonable price. EmpireTech Andy

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appreciate your reply.

-I usually use Hikvision cameras and have installed literally hundreds of them. I always run cat 6 copper cable rather than the cat 5 that typically comes with pre packaged systems. It's good to know about the 8mp, active deterrence also, those are two specifications I haven't dealt much with at all. And you are right, there isn't much lighting at this location other than moonlight and a few out door lights.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with Lorex systems. Does anyone have a recommendation between these three systems? Ideally the system would be compatible with the NSC-DB2 from Nelly's but I don't think these NVR's will work with it? If not, the user can record to a NAS that's already installed.

16-Channel 4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with Four Metal 4K (8MP) Smart Deterrence Cameras and Four Metal 4K (8MP) Varifocal Zoom Lens Cameras

4K Ultra HD 16-Channel IP Security System with 8 Smart Deterrence 4K (8MP) Cameras, Smart Motion Detection and Smart Home Voice Control

16-Channel 4K Ultra HD IP NVR System with Six Metal 4K (8MP) Smart Deterrence Cameras and Six Metal 4K (8MP) Audio Varifocal Zoom Lens Cameras
My take on the deal...

I think Costco recently had a better deal on a Lorex kit with cameras for $1000... recently expired. ( iirc yesterday or something like that .. )

In general Lorex often over charges imho and their prices change week to week sometimes dramatically.

Note the newer NVRs they have in kits appear to be a lower tier version compared to the model they used to include. Check the specs, in particular the bandwidth spec.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't know what kind of bandwidth you think is necessary for a single camera, but even an 8MP is under 20MbP/S. Why use gig cable for a device that doesn't even use 100 megabits?

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
because i get really cheap prices on 1000ft spools. i never run cat5 anymore. Future proofing!

ClarityAVS

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This Lorex system is for a friend of mine. He is loyal to their brand (for whatever reason) and likes the functionality with Google and Alexa to integrate into his smart home.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
You'll be looking at the underside of the turf long before CAT5 bandwidth is exceeded for a single camera. If you really want to future proof, install fiber.

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you'll be able to get a better deal through Andy here on the forum @EMPIRETECANDY
You'll get a better bang for the buck package. You'll have to purchase CAT6 cable from Monoprice in bulk (1000 feet roll). Just my recommendation :)