Timberrrrr!!!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Ice build-up on the wings changes the airfoil shape so less lift, not to mention the weight but it's mainly because it negatively impacts lift.

On January 13, 1982, an Air Florida Flt 90, a Boeing 737-222 plunges into the Potomac River in Washington, D.C., killing 78 people. They had been de-icing before takeoff but it took too long (about 45 minutes) to take off due to the queue of planes waiting to take off. Pilot also failed to turn on the planes onboard de-icing system. By the time it rotated, too much ice had re-accumulated, didn't get enough lift, couldn't clear the bridge, went into the icy river. :confused:
One word: Lift
You got it.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ice build-up on the wings changes the airfoil shape so less lift, not to mention the weight but it's mainly because it negatively impacts lift.

On January 13, 1982, an Air Florida Flt 90, a Boeing 737-222 plunges into the Potomac River in Washington, D.C., killing 78 people. They had been de-icing before takeoff but it took too long (about 45 minutes) to take off due to the queue of planes waiting to take off. Pilot also failed to trun on the planes on de-icing system. By the time it rotated, too much ice had re-accumulated, got too less lift, couldn't clear the bridge, went into the icy river.

You got it.
Yeah I watched that crash on a show I used to watch, called seconds from disaster.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score

On January 13, 1982, an Air Florida Flt 90, a Boeing 737-222 plunges into the Potomac River in Washington, D.C., killing 78 people. They had been de-icing before takeoff but it took too long (about 45 minutes) to take off due to the queue of planes waiting to take off. Pilot also failed to turn on the planes onboard de-icing system. By the time it rotated, too much ice had re-accumulated, got too less lift, couldn't clear the bridge, went into the icy river.

You got it.
De-icing a propeller is also very important as it harms efficiency and balance.

Of course I was joking in my original comment but seriously, there is a good possibility that it wouldn't have fallen if thy blades were spinning.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
De-icing a propeller is also very important as it harms efficiency and balance.

Of course I was joking in my original comment but seriously, there is a good possibility that it wouldn't have fallen if thy blades were spinning.
I liked the the black air bladders (de-icing boots) on the props of many radial engines and some turboprops that ran along a portion of the leading edge of the prop, filled up with manifold exhaust or air under pressure, expanding and popping/cracking any ice on the prop.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah I watched that crash on a show I used to watch, called seconds from disaster.
Was there that day stuck on a bus just off the bridge trying to get home. Took forever. Couldn't see it directly but could see all of the activity ahead.

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I liked the the black air bladders (de-icing boots) on the props of many radial engines and some turboprops that ran along a portion of the leading edge of the prop, filled up with manifold exhaust or air under pressure, expanding and popping/cracking any ice on the prop.
Now that’s flying over my head (pun intended). I have some practice flying in case of an emergency, but have a lot more experience jumping out of one - Hooyah