Time keeps moving 1 hour ahead

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
8 channel hikvision nvr with 5 hikvision and 3 dahua cams.

Nvr time is correct and constant, however, each camera moves ahead 1 hour a few min after adjustment.

I have synced to PC, manually set, tagged to ntp, even moved time zone that is 1 hour behind. They all fix it for a few min then go ahead an hour. How do you fix this?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Many of us have noticed that some cams are somehow programmed strange regarding time zones - some may be UTC and others GMT.

You simply need to find a new time zone one hour off of the timezone you are in and change it to that time zone so that it then displays the correct time.

I have a few cameras that I have to do that with as well. But once set, I haven't had to touch them.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many of us have noticed that some cams are somehow programmed strange regarding time zones - some may be UTC and others GMT.

You simply need to find a new time zone one hour off of the timezone you are in and change it to that time zone so that it then displays the correct time.

I have a few cameras that I have to do that with as well. But once set, I haven't had to touch them.
I'm in central time so I switched to mountain and same result. Worked for a few then went an hour ahead

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

I think it's the dst. Once I unchecked daylight savings it seems to have fixed. If I'm pegged to ntp do I even need dst or will it sync with the server?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It can certainly be the dst as well. Maybe the camera already has DST programmed into, so checking it is doing it twice.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It can certainly be the dst as well. Maybe the camera already has DST programmed into, so checking it is doing it twice.
I'll keep it unchecked and ntp option. Hopefully ntp updates it automatically

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Generally you do need to do DST adjustments in the cam (or other device) when using NTP. The NTP server passes the time as UTC. The client makes whatever local offsets from that based on its settings.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Generally you do need to do DST adjustments in the cam (or other device) when using NTP. The NTP server passes the time as UTC. The client makes whatever local offsets from that based on its settings.
I'll try it out. These things have a mind of their own. I set to ntp come back an hour later and the setting isn't checked anymore even though I've saved it

naamang

n3wb
Reaction score
I'll try it out. These things have a mind of their own. I set to ntp come back an hour later and the setting isn't checked anymore even though I've saved it
Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm having the same exact problem and none of these suggestions have helped. The camera will readjust any setting, including DST selection and time zone selection. I lie to it and select (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) with DST unchecked and it will change it back to (UTC-05:00) with DST checked and then forwards the time one hour. And it doesn't even get the area correct. Instead of the (UTC-05:00) Indiana East (where I live) or (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), it changes it to (UTC-05:00) Bogota, Lima, Quito, Rio Branco. Has anyone in this thread figured this out yet? I have two NVRs, one Dahua and one Hikvision. The Dahua is set to not sync time with the cameras and I'm not finding a feature on the HIkvision for time syncing to the cameras so I must assume it's not. NPT is unchecked on all the Dahua cameras also so it should be running only on it's internal clock with no influence from external sources yet it keep switching back to -05:00 and forwarding an hour off,