Time to share, my openalpr install

Reaction score
After reading almost every post on LPR I created my own setup.

Intel I3 8Gb ram and 120GB SSD where I run openalpr on CentOS with a Dahua HFW5231EP-z camera.
Results are amazing... but everyone already knows the capabilities of openalpr and Dahua.

What I realy want to talk about is wat is behind this setup.

I run an instance of Node-Red and read the plates from openalpr. From Node-red I store all plates in a influxdb database and the known plates (fammily, friends...) in a SQlite database.

From there on the fun starts... Family and friends will get a spoken announcement on several google-home and sonos speakers each of them has a personalised message. I also get a push message on my phone.
The lights in my house are also able to react on certain plates

I also use grafana to create beautiful grafs and run some analytics on the stream of plates

upload_2019-4-16_22-15-19.png
Grafana

upload_2019-4-16_22-16-16.png
a node red flow (for the announcements)

the possibilities with Node-red are endless
If anyone is interested in more detail... I'm happy to help.
I'm not native english... so please forgive any typo's

Peterupload_2019-4-16_22-15-19.png upload_2019-4-16_22-16-16.png

Reaction score
Wow, jumping in this thread as I already have Node-Red setup on Raspberry Pi for recording temperature and humidity all through the house. I was too new to Raspberry Pi to get Grafana working, but as pretty as those are might have to retry. Right now I just log data to MS-SQL and visualize in Tableau because I have a license, but that's sweet and self-contained!

Reaction score
Thank God there's folks in this world like you guys who actually understand this shit :)
Its like everything else google/try/fail/repeat. Node-Red is 80% drag & drop with a little script that you can easily find online to do common tasks. At least based on my experience in the shallow end of it!

Node Red implements a pretty standard IoT protocol (MQTT) that you can do lots of stuff with (including some stuff in Blue Iris which made it interesting to me), I chose to run it on a Raspberry Pi to "play around" because the Pi was like $35 (actually like $80 for a beginner "everything you need and some stuff you dont" kit) and I always like to learn new stuff. Node-Red on Raspberry Pi made a ton of sense, because it can be networked and even PoE powered+hardwired network with the right plugin board (bah another $20 down the tubes), draws next to nothing power-wise, and is the size of two stacked deck of cards for mini-computer. I'm tinkering with Raspberry Pi as IoT hub for a mess of ESP8266 NodeMCU boards (like $6 mini processor with wifi) that can be scripted to do some simple stuff around the house (right now I have about half dozen measuring temperature and humidity around the house).

After reading almost every post on LPR I created my own setup.
Seems Peter is already way ahead of me. The LPR stuff is very interesting to me and I don't even have an LPR camera yet.

tech101

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you so much Peter You are a inspiration for people like me. Thank you! And your chart makes such a complex task seems simple to understand. Thank you ! I hope one day I can understand this and have my own Open ALPR running locally.

mm81

n3wb
Reaction score
would it be possible for you to post your node-red flow? Looks awesome!

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
yes, I have 4 of them running, well two of those and two of the newer generation 5241. Same camera

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
where did you get your new models from? what height did you mount them? I was thinking about putting them about 5 feet up along the back side of my swell, what do you think?

Sorry I missed that post @Mike Dunne , those locations look perfect. I’m helping a guy who is using almost the exact same placement

Got ‘em from Andy