Timelaps w/ Existing Hikvision system (or use something else?)

cobi

n3wb
Reaction score
I have an existing Hikvision system installed at a property. FWIW, I am not an camera/security guy... just an IT guy that has used various different systems over the years and have picked up a decent understanding of them.

NVR System is a Hikvision DS-96000NI-F24/H Series. Currently running approx 50 cameras. We will be adding approx 50 more for the new project mentioned below.
Current Outdoor cameras are Hikvision DS-2CD2632F-I (F/W version V5.4.5 build 170123)
Indoor Cameras are DS-2CD2112F-I (not relevant to my question really, but included for reference)

We are getting ready to start construction on Phase 2 of our project next door which will attach to the current building.

I am looking for 2 things:
1. 2 roof mounted cameras (on the current building) showing the overall site for security. Each covering approx 1/2 of the site.
2. Boss has now requested a time lapse be made of construction over the next 10 or so months

My vendor has quoted me a few cameras to use for issue #1. These can be used during construction and then eventually moved into place on Phase 2 when it is ready to come online.
Regular IP - HX-BL2T35F2
Variocal - HX-BL2635VZ

We aren't sure which will work better from a 4 story roof so I had him get me info on both. Figured maybe zoom in a bit on the varifocals and cover 1/2 and 1/2. Anyway, part 1 will be a no brainer pretty much. Install 2 cameras on a temporary mount, I have easy cable access to the roof, point them to cover the area, add to existing NVR. Done deal.

But, can I use these cameras for the timelapse purposes as well? Or should I mount another separate one in a slightly different roof location that captures the entire site (I'm fine with a separate timelapse specific camera option as the camera won't go to waste)? My existing outdoor cams don't appear to have the snapshot function? And I don't know that the new ones he quoted do either. Only took a quick look.

Can someone point me in the right direction so I don't spin my wheels and head down the wrong path on the timelapse? Should we be looking at different model cameras?

I asked my vendor about doing timelapse and it didn't seem like he had done one before (at least not on Hikvision which isn't his normal brand). Would like to stay away from SD cards in cameras if possible since I have the network infrastructure in place already.

cobi

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Gul-Dukat I has seen that before and was hoping to just stick with stuff built into the GUI, etc...

I was able to get it working finally (had camera/NVR issues that required firmware updates, etc...). Ended up only using 1 camera for now as it surprisingly covered about 90% of the entire jobsite.

Just setup the capture settings in the new camera and thanks to a little support from a Hikvision Sales Engineer he steered me to doing a FTP upload to my NAS as I was having major issues using my NAS as a "Net HDD"... (apparently it tries to index the entire thing) and I use that NAS for other purposes. Basically crashed it a few times.... including my virtual servers running from it!

Happy with the end result, only shooting 1 picture every 30 minutes for now. Just created a test video from my first 35 images and I think it looks OK, other than I will probably shorten up the night time via schedule or just pull frames out eventually. This job is supposed to finish about this time next year, so I'm figuring even at 1 pic per 30 minutes I'd end up with over 17K pictures!

Funny story, but 8 hours after I installed the new camera (job has already been going on for more than a month) some guys decided to break in on a friday night and joyride equipment and break into the job trailer! Thankfully the neighbors called the cops and they were caught before they did any damage.

Last edited:

cobi

n3wb
Reaction score
On a related note...... how do I provide a link to the bosses and development staff the ability to view the camera in real time without making them login and change settings? This is on the internal network, not public.... not opening it through the firewall. Ideally I'd like to have them on Stream 2 in like 16:9 view so it doesn't kill my VPN bandwidth if a few of them leave it open all day. I've been searching and striking out with everything I try.

I did create a view-only user and can login and view but I don't like that it gives them all of the other "stuff" along with it and defaults them into stream 1. Just want a stripped down interface as much as possible or at least save them a step or two by embedding the login somehow. Easy to do on other brands of cameras I've used in the past.

I've looked for ways to embed the credentials into the hyperlink and also tried viewing the rtsp stream via VLC as a test (rtsp://user:password@192.168.x.xxx) but VLC just errors with:
No suitable decoder module:
VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

I've also downloaded the VSPlayer and iVMS Video Wall but not having luck or they are overkill for what I need.

Gul-Dukat

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Perhaps consider setting up a local web server and have a simple html page which the stream2 is embedded in....
ive done that before in my job for the security cameras around the perimeter

see some others who have tried this approach in a similar way.
Embedding Hikvision live stream in webpage

also

Documentation:WebPlugin - VideoLAN Wiki

Howto insert LIVE stream video ( RTSP and other) into your dashboards

and perhaps try.... with some modification - like the correct secondary stream reference in the rtsp stream

Code:
<embed type="application/x-vlc-plugin" pluginspage="http://www.videolan.org" version="VideoLAN.VLCPlugin.2"  width="100%"  height="100%" id="vlc" loop="yes" autoplay="yes" target="rtsp://username:password@192.168.0.201:554/stream2 etc etc etc"></embed>

Last edited:

cobi

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll take a look at the links you provided!