Timelapse using FTP or NAS help

Ballistic

n3wb
Reaction score
Trying to do a 5-6 month Timelapse for a job site starting soon and trying to figure everything out now before it starts.

Im testing with a Hikvision DS-2CD2132-I. But that doesnt have to be the camera i use if someone has a better suggestion.

I have a NAS attached to the camera, I also have FTP attached to the camera. I do NOT have a Micro SD card installed.

cant seem to get anything to upload to ether FTP or NAS using the Snapshot Timing under advanced config storage.

Anything im missing or recommend i should try?

Also this camera is going to be used with a VPN Firewall/Router using a Cellular USB Modem for internet so trying to keep bandwidth down.

MWWaqef.png

T4E4vij.png

mboBYZG.png

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I once had a Hikvision camera's FTP upload ability spontaneously stop working for no apparent reason. But lets assume that has not happened in your case. Can you view an activity log for the FTP server in real-time? When you push the Test button in the camera's interface, the camera should attempt to connect to the FTP server and you should be able to see it in your log. If the test works but the upload every 15 seconds does not work (15 seconds is way too short an interval for a 5-6 month timelapse, IMHO), then I'd suspect your schedule isn't configured correctly.

Ballistic

n3wb
Reaction score
I once had a Hikvision camera's FTP upload ability spontaneously stop working for no apparent reason. But lets assume that has not happened in your case. Can you view an activity log for the FTP server in real-time? When you push the Test button in the camera's interface, the camera should attempt to connect to the FTP server and you should be able to see it in your log. If the test works but the upload every 15 seconds does not work (15 seconds is way too short an interval for a 5-6 month timelapse, IMHO), then I'd suspect your schedule isn't configured correctly.
I confirmed FTP is connecting, What schedule do i need to double check? I was doing 15 seconds for testing so i did not have to wait for images. I plan to do a photo every 30-60mins if i can get it working.

Ballistic

n3wb
Reaction score

Kieran

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try reducing the capture Quality setting from High to Low for a test. This has been a problem in the past with timing captures.

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What Camera model is that?

Your camera config looks a little different, maybe i should try my other hikvision models i have. I have a 3MP and 4MP Turret, and i have a 3MP IR Cube

I may put a call into Hikvision if i cant figure it out.
DS-2CD2032-I - was on 5.30, but i have just updated to 5.40 maybe why the GUI look different.

Ballistic

n3wb
Reaction score
I think i figured it out why i couldn't get it to work. I was testing with too little of a interval.

2xxx series cameras support at least 1000ms for interval. 4xxx series cameras support at least 500ms for interval which means 4xxx cameras are able to capture two images every second at most. However, presently 4xxx cameras can only upload upmost 1 image per second to the ftp. We will fix it in the version V5.2.0.

I also changed my ftp to a IP and not a domain. (doubt that had anything to do with it though)

"Only IP address is supported as the Server Address. The domain name will be supported in the later version."

Following some of the notes in the pdf below:

http://www.hikvision.com/ueditor/net/upload/2015-06-10/174463cb-9771-4fb0-97aa-f99e14ca984a.pdf

Also their tech support sucks, bought over 200 cameras from them through ADI Global (A Honeywell company) And they were trying to say my cameras were fake china knock offs then said oh those cameras are not made to be used in the USA...