Timeout on video Playback

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In both the Client GUi after selecting an alert video for playback the GUI will lock up and turn gray.
Happens more that 50% of the time when selecting alert videos.
Typical the Intel GPU utilization will go up when the GUI is timing out.
I have disabled GPU BVR for playback and it still happens.

Running 5.4.9.18

It is an annoying problem as my wife wants to look at a video of someone that came to the door and the GUI just times out and she starts complaining about the whole system. If you know what I mean.....

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is not really clear, what is locking up?
Are you talking about the mobile app, UI3 or something else.
Looking at the Client side Gui on the BI machine.
Double click on an alert video.
Sometimes the video will open and then freeze and other times it just freezes before the alert video opens.
The Windows circle of waiting appears and then nothing it just sits there.
Usually go into task manager and kill the client side blueiris.exe

Added that I can usually get similar results from the web gui. (that is where I first noticed it)
THis is what usually happens when I encounter the issue via the web gui.

At the same moment this happened the CPU was between 50 and 60%
Memory at 10 out of 16Gig in use.
GPU at 28%

The machine was not stressed at all and network traffic was manageable.

web gui timeout.png

Last edited:

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is your video stored on an internal drive or on a USB/NAS? What processor and GPU?
Multiple drives.
I have encountered the issues on videos in new and stored.
New is on a WDC Raptor 1TB
Stored is on a WD 4TB drive.

I74790K with intel GPU and an Nvidia 1650.
Intel GPU is handling most decoding and the 1650 is running deepstack

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you recording on motion or continuous?
In BI is "Limit decoding unless required" check on your BI video settings for each camera ?

screen shots
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
2) windows task manager performance, GPU (if you have multiple GPUs, then muitiple screen shots)
3) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
4) blue Iris status cameras tab
5) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
6) on two of the camera properties the record tab.

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Are you recording on motion or continuous?
In BI is "Limit decoding unless required" check on your BI video settings for each camera ?

screen shots
1) windows task manager process tab sorted by memory (most at the top), Must contain, memory, disk, network, GPU, GPU engine columns
2) windows task manager performance, GPU (if you have multiple GPUs, then muitiple screen shots)
3) Blue iris status (lighting bolt graph,upper left corner) clip storage tab
4) blue Iris status cameras tab
5) Blue iris settings clips and archiving tab , for the NEW folder, stored folder, alerts folder. (three screen shots)
6) on two of the camera properties the record tab.
Continuous record

LImit decoding is not checked on any camera currently. (I have checked it in the past and it did not seem to have an impact)

At this point in time I do not believe I have a system resource issue. Even when I have someone walk in front of multiple cameras and trigger motion, I only see small spikes in CPU and GPU utilization.Task Manager.png

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
What does the CPU look like when you're playing back video through UI3? 10.5 gigs of memory utilized seems like a lot, to me, but depends on how many cameras and the bit rate of them.

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What does the CPU look like when you're playing back video through UI3? 10.5 gigs of memory utilized seems like a lot, to me, but depends on how many cameras and the bit rate of them.
Blue Iris Server instance is using 3 gig of that memory but as long as I am not at 100% and getting page faults, memory is good.

The biggest thing I have noticed when the problem happens is the GPU0 (Intel) utilization goes up to about 60%.
Nothing else appears to deviate more than normal.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Just for laughs, try shutting off hardware acceleration, assuming you're using sub streams.

That also begs the question, what is using that other 7GB of memory? That could be bogging the CPU which is getting kind of long in the tooth.

Skispcs

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just reproduced the problem in UI3 and there is a log entry in BI.

Object: App Message: live.sem stuck

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably not yoyr issue, but…My only thought is that my i7-3770, when running 15 cams on a version prior to substreams would misbehave on playback.
I later discovered that my WD Blue drives were the SMR technology, that explained some of it.
When i began using a substream version, playback improved quite a bit.
That and being a Noob, i was running everything at 20-30 FPS.:banghead: