TinyCam Pro w/ 2019 Amazon Fire 7 and IPC-HFW5231E-Z & HDW5231R-Z

Reaction score
I just bought the new 2019 Fire 7 tablet and I am trying to setup TinyCam pro and a few Dahua security cameras.

It looks like it should be able to run hardware decoding. However, if I enable hardware decoding I get 100% frame drop. Is this tablet just not powerful enough? If so I'll send it back. But it seems like it should be fine.

Software decoding at least pulls up video but the frame drop rate is so high it says turn on hardware decoding....which then leads to 100% dropped.

There is also no choice in TinyCam Pro for the IPCHFW5231E-Z (bullet) or the IPC-HDW5231R-Z (turret) which seems weird as they seem to be extremely popular cameras on this site. I am just using the IPC-HDW4431C-A which seems to work (except for the H265HW part).

I am not sure if this is a settings thing or a lack of power in the tablet.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Fire tablet.... is a terrible low horsepower device....

Buy a real Android iPad like a Samsung Galaxy Tab.

Reaction score
I'm seeing on the forum people have success with the Fire Tablet which is why I bought it:

Mobile Monitor Recommendations?

But maybe Looney was running it with just software decoding.

I'll look into other inexpensive Android tablets. I'm not a big fan of the Samsung lineup. I've had 4 Samsung phones and a Tab.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you can add a custom URL for the Dahuas in Tinycam, try this one for RTSP:
Code:
rtsp://username:password@camera-IP:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0
Or leave out user, password and the "@" if Tinycam inserts them for you.

Note that "subtype=0" is for main stream, "1" is for substream, both are set up and/or disabled in camera configuration under "setup", "video".

Generally, in default mode the main stream is the highest resolution, substream is lower.

dragan11

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you know if custom URL can be pointed to substream 2 on Dahua cams? I was able to get tinycam connected to main or substream 1 but could not get it to connect to substream 2

I had substream 2 enabled on cam settings, substream 1 enabled and disabled, tintycam stream profile sub or auto - same result could not get a stream

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought the new 2019 Fire 7 tablet and I am trying to setup TinyCam pro and a few Dahua security cameras.

It looks like it should be able to run hardware decoding. However, if I enable hardware decoding I get 100% frame drop. Is this tablet just not powerful enough? If so I'll send it back. But it seems like it should be fine.

Software decoding at least pulls up video but the frame drop rate is so high it says turn on hardware decoding....which then leads to 100% dropped.

There is also no choice in TinyCam Pro for the IPCHFW5231E-Z (bullet) or the IPC-HDW5231R-Z (turret) which seems weird as they seem to be extremely popular cameras on this site. I am just using the IPC-HDW4431C-A which seems to work (except for the H265HW part).

I am not sure if this is a settings thing or a lack of power in the tablet.
My fire 7 is 4-5 years old.
Use the substream's, you don't need the full rez streams on that small of screen.
Use ONVIF as the brand, not any of the Dahua settings.
Protocol: RTSP over TCP
Choose channel one or two to pull the substream.
Correct IP, and correct user and password you have setup in the camera.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What about the official dahua app, gDMSS. Also, it works better than tinycam imo..

Kameraad

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
gDMSS never gave me any trouble, been using it for years. I read about people having issues with iDMSS though.

Reaction score
I figured I out that the Fire can handle H.264 and not H.265. It also does work with software decoding as long as it's the sub stream like Looney suggested. However, I can't get it to connect with ONVIF. If I pick an Amcrest camera I can get it to work. I must have an ONVIF setting wrong in Tinycam. I have ONVIF enabled on the Dahua Camera. Which port is the ONVIF port that Tinycam is asking for? TCP, HTTP, RTSP? I've tried them all with no success. At least when I put the RTSP port number in for the ONVIF port number I get a different error... unexpected end of stream.

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
By the way, Microsoft Go surface tablets I believe can be unlocked to run Windows 10, and then supports HEVC which means H265 decoding. The apps are all free at that point and you can use all kinds of surveillance apps like a PC including dahua SmartPSS, Amcrest Surveillance Pro, etc.etc.

I am considering one in the future but not until my 2018 iPad dies. I doubt my iPad will die anytime soon though.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I got ONVIF to work. I had to update to the latest firmware and then add another account to the ONVIF user accounts. The default admin account wouldn't work. Tinycam kept rejecting the username/password. But adding another user worked. The only problem is that I have this camera setup for 2 way audio but there is no option to turn on the speaker at the camera. How do I get that functionality?

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have no problem on my Fire 7 using TinyCam Pro with Dahua Cams. Are you using a Dahua NVR or Blue Iris? I use a Dahua NVR and can walk you through the settings if you're using one.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The last picture I think you can select sub stream if you choose.

I might be slightly different than you because I point each camera to my NVR IP address and then in advanced settings change the channel in the url it finds from channels 1-7 (I have 7 cameras).

Reaction score
That configuration doesn't allow me to use the audio out function. I can hear and see video but I can't talk back to anyone.

I need to be able to use the audio out function of the Dahua.

jack7

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
See Supported IP cameras | tinyCam Monitor
It says Tinycam does not support ONVIF 2-way audio.
I would try specifying the camera as Amcrest IPM-721S (h264/rtsp, 2-w audio, ptz, motion detection, preset, relay, led) to see if it works, or another Amcrest camera with 2-w audio.
You should find the tinycam talk button(microphone icon) in the second line of tinycam camera screen.