Tire Rings the Doorbell

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow.
Likely a frozen bearing that finally got so hot it snapped the axle, judging by the smoke.

Could easily have killed someone! When I lived in CA circa early 90's on Interstate I-280 a rear wheel from a sand truck's trailer came off and struck a Caltrans worker, killing him from the massive trauma. A few years earlier a similar incident happened when a big truck wheel, also from that same I-280, traveled down an off ramp and hit one of our traffic signal cabinets...LOTS of damage.

Just in the last 3 or 4 years I have witnessed several tandem wheel cargo trailers going along, pulled by a pickup truck, with a shredded tire or a squealing bearing, the driver not checking rear view mirrors periodically, something that one has to do when pulling any kind of a trailer.

Thanks for the share!

Last edited:

Arjun

Known around here
Reaction score
Probably a good reason to avoid using the interstate system (where there are lots of trucks) and rely on parkways instead

Wow.
Likely a frozen bearing that finally got so hot it snapped the axle, judging by the smoke.

Could easily have killed someone! When I lived in CA circa early 90's in Interstate I-280 a rear wheel from a sand truck's trailer came off and struck a Caltrans worker, killing him from the massive trauma. A few years earlier a similar incident happened when a big truck wheel, also from that same I-280, traveled down an off ramp and hit one of our traffic signal cabinets...LOTS of damage.

Just in the last 3 or 4 years I have witnessed several tandem wheel cargo trailers going along, pulled by a pickup truck, with a shredded tire or a squealing bearing, the driver not checking rear view mirrors periodically, something that one has to do when pulling any kind of a trailer.

Thanks for the share!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I was looking for a new car, years ago. I stopped at a dealership that was just off a traffic circle on a State highway. I was standing in the showroom and watched as a tandem wheel set from an 18 wheeler flew right through the lot, in the entry driveway, through the aisle between the showroom and a line of new cars, out the exit driveway, then right through a building next door. No one was hurt, but it sure left me happy I was where I was and not outside with a salesman,