To VPN or not to VPN

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
@lane I see. I'd be using AT&T and an iPhone. I guess I'll have to search around the forums and see, but I would imagine it works if this is the router everyone seems to recommend for use with an ISP.

I was hoping for better news from you, though :)

Homer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've just gone the ASUS router OpenVPN route, after spotting Chinese addresses trying to log in to BI. I started by trying to load OpenVPN on the BI PC, but found that very difficult to set up. After some reading online, I found I could replace my modem (Provider sounds like SLY) with an OpenReach modem, and plug that straight into the ASUS (AC86U) router. I re-flashed the router with Merlin firmware, and went to set the VPN up. It was childs play after trying to do it on a PC ! Up and running in minutes. No more foreign addresses logging in to my BI, and OpenVPN on my mobile phone is FAST. Oh, and my SLY internet is as fast as it was before, so no problems there either :headbang:

cam26

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That's encouraging, it sounds like exactly what I'm going to try to do with bridging my Arris (ISP) modem to the Asus and running OpenVPN through the Asus.

That's the only part that's got me worried so I'll be glad to get everything in hand and give it a shot. Already thinking of what friends I know in the IT field that can come bail me out if necessary!

Homer

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
SLY didn't allow anybody elses modems to be used until recently, and all they supplied was a locked down combined modem/router with single band wifi. When I read online that the OpenReach modem could connect to SLY, it was off to Ebay. £5 later and I had a modem. Plugged it in in place of the SLY modem, and it connected :) The ASUS just plugs into that. The wifi is awesome !!!
As long as you are following instructions that work, you should be fine. You do have to take a leap every now and then though.