tool head broke off in set screw of Starlight Housing

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately, when attempting to tilt my Dahua turret manually yesterday, the tool supplied with the cam used to tighten and locate the camera housing to the wall holder broke off in the set screw. image attached might give you a better idea of what I mean.
Any ideas on how I might fix this?

Attachments

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you can grab the set screw with a plier, unscrew it and replace it.
Maybe a tiny amount of red Loctite?

Tibor Makai

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can try just drilling into it, until you bottom out, into the set screw bottom. Measure the core diameter of that tool(minor diameter). Remove the torx pieces.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you get it out? It looks like there is just enough thread to use a new set of Vicegrips on the outer threads and unscrew it. I am assuming it is extra tight and hence the reason the torx tip broke. If the Vicegrips do not work, i would drill the inside out (@Tibor Makai ) just enough to use an easy-out extractor. I don't think the OEM torx tool is all that hard (compared to a normal torx tip), so it should be drillable, but be careful of shattering the drill bit.

I just measured the screw (female ID= .152"). I would use an 1/8" drill bit before using the easy-out.

Last edited:

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If drilling, use a left hand bit and chances are it will unscrew the set screw before drilling is complete.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I had this happen to me!
I had to drill the set screw out.

If you go with a smaller drill bit that the screw once you get so far because its softer material it will fracture and basically fall out.

Just go careful and it will be fine

buckfast

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
thanks all, will get myself a small diameter left handed drill bit and try.

reeves1985

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Man, some of y'all must be applying some serious torque to these little screws. You don't need to rag on them. Just snug 'em down lightly.
In my case the actual tool broke inside the screw when I was undoing it for the first time brand new.
The supplied keys are soft as you kind of expect for a supplied tool.
So it's just a case of being as careful as possible.

Agree though you dont need to tighten the screw really tight just enough to grab the ball and then maybe quarter turn to snug it up that's enough

MakeItRain

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Pretty scary. I'll be sure not to overtighten my star screws!

IAmATeaf

Known around here
Reaction score
I wonder see if the set screw has been cross threaded? On all my cams the set screw was quite easy to loosen and tighten.

toolazyforalogin

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try a thick rubber band between the tool and what’s left in the set screw. Apply pressure and you may be pleasantly surprised when it backs it out of the screw.

nymphaeles

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unfortunately, when attempting to tilt my Dahua turret manually yesterday, the tool supplied with the cam used to tighten and locate the camera housing to the wall holder broke off in the set screw. image attached might give you a better idea of what I mean.
Any ideas on how I might fix this?
Yeah, that happened to me too. So I used a small flat head screw driver to pry it loose, and with the help of a magnet, I managed to get it off.

xtropodx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just did this myself :banghead: :facepalm:. Oh well it's not going anywhere in a hurry :rofl:.

Dramus

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I tell y'all what: I'll be acquiring proper Torx drivers for both the Dahua screw sizes I've seen before I touch that set screw in a Dahua camera ever again. In fact... <adds Torx drivers to shopping list> I'm going to be in a tool section at a store tomorrow.

@EMPIRETECANDY, perhaps you could bring this issue to Dahua's attention?

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
I put up a new camera today and used a T-10 torx driver. This thread may have saved me from a catastrophe.