Total Newb - recommendation

outfielder

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have never had anything to do with camera's before, so I hope you'll excuse my most likely basic of questions.

We just bought a house and I'd like to install 1 X security camera at the front that catches the entrance to the front door and the driveway at the side of the house (same point almost). The distance from the camera would be between 10 and 20 meters.

A preference would also be to read car number plates. The house is at the end of a cul-de-sac. Where cars need to turn around. This point is roughly 30m from the camera.

Would the DS-2CD2332-I suit my needs, or could someone recommend something else if there is a better solution?

Many thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You're gonna want two different cameras. Search for ALPR systems on here. Not necessarily the whole setup but the parts about the cameras. For license plates to be clear at that distance and on moving vehicles you'll want a much bigger lens then what you will for the door. Think 25mm or so maybe more. You'll also have to dedicate some time to tweaking the settings on that camera too.

For the door, a 2332 will work but i would recommend a 2342. I started with a 4mm lense on the 4MP turret and then swapped out to a 6mm lense on a 2332. The picture quality, especially at night was better with the 4mp in my opinion. I didn't think i could say no to the price of the 2332 at the time (they also didn't make the 2342 with a 6mm lense which is what i wanted). I was wrong, i wish i stayed with the 2343. The price difference at this point between a 2332 and 2342 shouldn't be huge if you shop around and are patient for sales. Also, stay away from 2.8mm, they provide very poor facial detailing unless very close. I wouldn't go lower then 4mm.

outfielder

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the feedback.

I will probably end up going with just the one camera as number plates aren't overly important, but I will have a read regarding ALPR in any case.

If I went with the one cam, it sounds like the suggestion is a DS-2CD2342WD-I unit with a 6mm lens. Does that sound about right?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks very much for the feedback.

I will probably end up going with just the one camera as number plates aren't overly important, but I will have a read regarding ALPR in any case.

If I went with the one cam, it sounds like the suggestion is a DS-2CD2342WD-I unit with a 6mm lens. Does that sound about right?
I haven't found the 2342 in 6mm yet. At least not where I have looked. Post a picture of where you plan on mounting the camera and what you want it to cover and I'm sure a lot of folks here can recommend mm size and brand recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outfielder

n3wb
Reaction score
I haven't found the 2342 in 6mm yet. At least not where I have looked. Post a picture of where you plan on mounting the camera and what you want it to cover and I'm sure a lot of folks here can recommend mm size and brand recommendation.
Thanks will do. We don't move in until next week, but I will sneak over with my camera a little later and get a decent shot :D

outfielder

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually this google image will probably be fine:

Red = Possible mount points
Yellow = Essential coverage
Blue = Desired coverage

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a thread... a member posted awhile back with pictures of a real setup using 2.8mm for front door and 4mm for driveway & yard. It sure helped me when I was obsessing over focal lengths.
Thx glsmall, will have a read now.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
30' is stretching it for 4mm. 6mm is MUCH better. A 6 or possibly 8mm would be good for ID quality shots in the driveway location for those pulling in, preferably mounted below your red driveway oval on or just above the brickwork. Varifocal would let you tune it to your preference but they're more money. A 4mm mounted on your roof peak like you're thinking would be a good "what happened" camera but give lousy facial ID for anybody coming to the front door. You'd need a 4mm mounted right above or beside the door or at the top of the steps to ID folks but it looks like it'd give blind spots in the front yard due to shrubbery. For a three cam solution that gets cars turning in the cul de sac, replace the roof peak cam with, say, a DS-2CD2T32-I8 in 16mm if you want to limit yourself to reasonably inexpensive off-the-shelf Hikvision models. Maybe even back it up with an external IR spotlight. You'd probably prefer external IR and a 2042 with aftermarket 16mm or 25mm lens (have to add and focus them yourself) but that takes time, some research, and fiddling. A DS-2CD4032FWD-A in a heated housing with the right lens and external IR would do it for you as well. Or, if you're not against Dahua, nayr runs a Dahua 5421E in a birdhouse with long varifocal lens (60mm max) and an IR cannon with great success.

outfielder

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Kawboy12R now you've gone and made it complicated.....haha!

I'll have a good read through what you said and try and get my head around it and then come back to the thread. Many thanks for the help, once again.

Oh, I have access to wholesale Lilin prices. There doesn't appear to be a lot of chatter re Lilin. My mate who uses their gear swears by it for what he uses it for.