Total noob Home Assistant question

TheE

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Can I run Home Assistant on my BI server and HA would still be snappy without any delays?

My BI server is an EliteDesk G4 - as of today (5 cameras), the total CPU usage on the server is ~12%.

Thanks so much in advance for any help and your time!

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did that for a while on 8th gen I7 mini pc, it should work. I fired up a Raspberry Pi 4 8GB eventually to move it over as I was sick of dealing with the Docker challenges. It started spitting out some compatibility warnings. If you are comfortable with docker, then you should be fine. I went with their OS installation on the Pi, it seemed to be a bit snappier and less maintenance on my end.

Reaction score
Can I run Home Assistant on my BI server and HA would still be snappy without any delays?

My BI server is an EliteDesk G4 - as of today (5 cameras), the total CPU usage on the server is ~12%.

Thanks so much in advance for any help and your time!
The answer is technically yes, but keep in mind that the fundamental hurdle is that Blue Iris is Windows only and Home Assistant will not run natively
on Windows - you will need a virtual machine or container of some kind to use both on the same PC. As #CamFan mentioned, using some containers,
such as the Home Assistant Docker image, can be challenging, whereas the Home Assistant OS installations, such as the Raspberry PI installation, are much
easier to manage, in my opinion.

What is your level of experience with Home Assistant? Do you envision a complex Home Assistant setup?

cp220

n3wb
Reaction score
I run home assistant and BI on the same machine. At one point I also ran pi-hole and unifi controller on it as well.

For home assistant I created a virtual linux machine with oracle virtualbox. I have had no problems with it.

kjinxx2

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I ran HA on my BI machine for about 3 days - I was also running unifi controller on my BI machine. I was having issues with my HA container hearing events properly on my network. I bought another cheap PC on ebay and set up proxmox and now run HA & unifi on their own container/VM on their own separate machine and have no regrets