Tough building a inexpensive Wireless IP system...

MikeRuth

n3wb
Reaction score
Folks I would like to build up a 3 to 4 Cam wireless outdoor system with a NVR/NVS recorder. I have 110VAC power available at each point so that's not an issue.
I have looked at Cameras on this site, a few different brands and I got to say way out of my price league.
I know your asking how much do I want to spend... As little as possible. Frankly I should be able to get by with 4 cameras. I have a dedicated PC that can be used for the NVS or if that can't handle the 4 streams then I'll go with a NVR.

I'm not asking for you folks to go shopping for me, just point me in the right direction. I got burned once now trying Zmodo cameras. PITA proprietary phreaking system. I don't want anything that involves the cloud. This is strictly CCTV via LAN. I don't trust the government!!!

Thanks Mike R

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, wireless can be costly if you have large distances and need to use PtP wireless links. What are the distances and terrains? Is wireless the only option?

Most wifi cams are terrible. Better to stick to standard PoE cams and then use wireless links to transmit the video streams back to your "base station". Of course, all that costs even more money since you need wireless links for every camera.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, wireless can be costly if you have large distances and need to use PtP wireless links. What are the distances and terrains? Is wireless the only option?

Most wifi cams are terrible. Better to stick to standard PoE cams and then use wireless links to transmit the video streams back to your "base station". Of course, all that costs even more money since you need wireless links for every camera.
+1

If you’re remotely serious in using WiFi for security video. You have to spend more finances toward the network infrastructure. The first time you go to review security video on the NVR and see gaps or nothing at all.

You’ll kick yourself in the ass for not spending the proper amount of money to begin with. I have yet to see a 4MP WiFi camera mounted one hundred feet away stream reliably to consumer router in the home never mind 4K.

All the wireless systems that have worked (more) reliable involved a hell of a lot more money than you’re even thinking about. But, there’s good news for you AliExpress has every price point of hardware to band aid a system together for you!

The only systems that have been more reliable in terms of wireless are ones connected via cellular. Even than, it doesn’t compare to a hard line into the home.

PTP is really the only method for a consumer that isn’t willing to trench a hard line. Even than, depending upon where you live and distance required. Don’t even think about running Ethernet cable without serious thought about grounding and surge protection.

If you live in lightning alley and break 25 feet of cable and have no grounding and SPD in place. You better have good home owners insurance and a thick wallet.

Running fibre is great but still requires power unless it’s off grid. If tied to the mains single point grounding and SPD’s are still required. Regardless, you better purchase a camera with edge recording because your going to need it. If you don’t invest in a solid WiFi infrastructure.

Because you won’t see / record anything when it really matters!

MikeRuth

n3wb
Reaction score
Actually your both right and what I need to do is hire a laborer to hang the lines for me and go hard wire. I'm no longer able and or comfortable working on ladders, climbing around tight attics etc.
Wireless was obviously my original thought but education taught me streaming out 4 live streams brought me to my senses.
Thank you folks

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Actually your both right and what I need to do is hire a laborer to hang the lines for me and go hard wire. I'm no longer able and or comfortable working on ladders, climbing around tight attics etc.
Wireless was obviously my original thought but education taught me streaming out 4 live streams brought me to my senses.
Thank you folks
Good for you!

It’s always easy to say to someone Do it this way. When in reality it’s harder and more expensive. But, the facts remain doing it right the first time pays off over the long run and that nudging thing called regret.

Simply isn’t there, except pure satisfaction things just work!

Let us know how it all turns out along with any challenges you saw at the end. These are teaching moments to others that may be considering the same or in the preliminary stages of deployment.