Tough camera question

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, i have a challenge here.

My front yard crosses with the public road at 6 meters from my house where my cameras are.
I have some idiot that finds its funny to drop a nail every now and then in frond of it, on the public road.
In my front yard, i park my car, and in the past also my mopeds and motorcycles.

I think that in the past few years i had about 15 leak tyres at least, dus to a nail or a screw.
These things are so damn small that i cant distinguist them on camera. So, i cannot see a "present" and "not present" state to seach within. The only "present" state is when i pick it up...

Yesterday, i found a small (new!) screw of approx. 16millimeters long. Picked it up and tossed in the trash.
Today, i picked a rusty nail of 50 millimiters. I am dead sure it wasnt there yesterday.

Problem is; its a public road, so there are so many people walking by that i just cant search on any movement...

Any tips or advises? High res camera, special options, anything?

I have a hikvision system with NVR.

Reaction score
does this person walk by? use a bicycle? use a vehicle? how much traffic is on this road?
I doubt you will find a camera that uses AI for nails & screws :) Best you can do is a dedicated AI camera to catch a human or vehicle and review the alerts. If person drives vehicle, maybe a LPR to catch license plate.
Can toss up a snapshot picture of camera FOV towards road?

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
If this sort of thing has been ongoing I’d probably invest in a 2-4’ magnet sweep. The money invested will even out knowing it takes less than 30 seconds to do multiple passes and lessons the incidence of a puncture.

A friend of mine had to deal with similar problems but to the extreme. Low life druggies we’re leaving used condoms and needles laying around.

Unfortunately a very small child picked up a needle and got poked. The parents heard the little one crying and ran out to find the needle in her finger.

They pulled it out immediately and began dousing it with all manner of disinfectant and rushed her to the ER. About six months later the doctors confirmed the little one had one STD and HIV.

The father snapped finding out the news about his daughter. Went on a massive rampage and ran over half a dozen prostitutes and druggies in the back alleys of the neighbor hood!

There hasn’t been a condom or needle found in the area since!

Regardless, keep in mind a magnet will not pick up none Ferris metals. So you’ll need to eye ball anything else the sweep doesn’t pick up!

Good luck . . .

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Maybe just the presence of a camera near the street will deter people from committing these acts.

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well, the fact that i have 5 in total on the front of my house tells me they are not impressed...

Dutchlincoln

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Today i used my gardenhose again to wash my daughters motorcycle, only to find out it has been cut exactly in the middle with a knife. 10mm cut, almost in half. About 2-3 months ago i used it and it was in perfect condition. Bought new past summer...

Reaction score
Ahhh. Da Cutting Of Tires. I have experience with such mattters!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Today i used my gardenhose again to wash my daughters motorcycle, only to find out it has been cut exactly in the middle with a knife. 10mm cut, almost in half. About 2-3 months ago i used it and it was in perfect condition. Bought new past summer...
Are you reporting these incidence to the police in your area?!? This seems to be escalating and if people are coming up your property and going out of their way to cut the tire of a child's bike. I'm not sure why you wouldn't take the time to review the video feed to try and ID the person(s)??? :thumbdown:

Do you have a image you can share with the group as to what this area looks like from the camera view vs street view?

I don't pretend to know where you live but in my part of the world no matter how safe it is. We don't leave anything outside no matter how small or large because criminals in General are crime of opportunity.

No opportunity - No crime . . .

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty much, it’s closer to: Bueller Bueller, Ferris Bueller where are you ?!?
I once texted the wife of a restaurant owner that managed it for him, the biz name was long and pretty much everyone called or abbreviated it TOTT.
I wanted to say I was on my way there to fix her printer issue and my text got spellchecked that changed it from 'tott' to 'tit'.

I get there, address her issue then 2 days later see my text telling her "....I'll see you at tit at about 11:15 am". :smash:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I once texted the wife of a restaurant owner that managed it for him, the biz name was long and pretty much everyone called or abbreviated it TOTT.
I wanted to say I was on my way there to fix her printer issue and my text got spellchecked that changed it from 'tott' to 'tit'.

I get there, address her issue then 2 days later see my text telling her "....I'll see you at tit at about 11:15 am". :smash:
I think lots of us been there with Auto Correct or where someone enters the wrong name or it gets butchered somehow. Way back in the day I received service call and the pager said the clients name was Cunts. :wtf: I called up the dispatch service to confirm the name on file was correctly printed and how long it had been in the system.

They tell me the client was entered into the system for more than ten years. :thumbdown:

The name was never changed and they had received only a few service calls over the ten years. So I call up a few of the guys and inquire about this client and told them the name on file indicates Cunts??? :facepalm: Of course you're dealing technicians so all of them have to give me the gears and push the envelope of Just man up and call the client :banghead:

At this point the window to call the client (Sudden Service) SLA of within 30 minutes from the call to being contacted is fast approaching. So I break down and call the company and when the first person picks up I quickly pre-empt and tell the person on the phone that I received a service call but am not sure of the persons name. I'm not expecting anything other than a correction that the persons name is Jane Smith etc.

Nope . . .

The lady on the phone barks at me and insists I call out the name on the file! :wtf: :thumbdown:

I pause and tell her the name doesn't appear to be correct and to me sounds very offensive. She barks back at me and says Isn't the customer always right??? I relent and try to say the last name slowly.

What do I hear a split second later ???

I hear a whole room of cackling woman breaking out in laughter!!! :angry:

A few moments later the person on the phone passes the telephone to the actual Key Op / Main Contact and all I hear is a very sad and sincere lady on the phone. :embarrassed: I arrive on site 60 minutes later fix what ever is wrong in the building and go find my Key Op. I find out later the young ladies name is some Germain / Nordic whatever background and its like: Kuntzs

With the two dots over whatever letters in her name . . .

So when the lady annunciated her last name it sounded like cooounce.

Some asshole way back in the day entered her name incorrectly for ten freaking years! Only to have guys like me to ring up this poor lady and those evil bitches making us, and her, hear her name pronounced as Cunt! :angry: I can't lie that's probably the first time I wanted to punch a few woman in the face for being so mean to another person.