Tp link switch and dahua camera

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Most of us do not use Motion Detection or Smart Motion Detection in the cameras - we use Smart Plan and IVS rules as they tend to be more accurate.

Post a screenshot, but without seeing it, the camera needs time to see the object and run it thru the algorithm and decide if it meets the criteria, so something zoomed in too tight and resulting in the object being in and out in a flash will be problematic.

Also, make sure you followed the steps I told you about default settings. If brightness, contrast, etc. are all on default settings it will miss. At a minimum contrast should be 6-8 points higher than brightness.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had changed everything except the brightness and contrast settings not thinking it would help pick up movement. I’ve got them both 8 points apart day and night now. I disabled the smart motion detection and found smart plan. I’ll try and figure out what presets/rules need to be. I swear to god I appreciate all your help. I’d have completely been lost.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You would be shocked how much the settings of brightness, contrast, gain, sharpness, gamma have in the ability to track.

I always knew that you shouldn't chase a bright picture - it looks nice and people migrate towards a brighter TV for example, but upon closer examination, most images need to be toned down in order to get all the details. You will be surprised how much changing a parameter like gamma could impact tracking. For example, if you have a pesky tree or something in the middle of the view during an autotrack, just by changing some image parameters you can get autotrack to pass it. Making the image a little darker at night actually helped with tracking someone across the street, which was opposite of what I thought you would think to do. So add some contrast to your image and see if it improves.

I have a yard lamp post that more times than not autotrack would get stuck on it as someone was walking and the autotrack would only go so far. Because my image has soo much contrast (bright white concrete a third, blacktop road a third, grass a third), knocking down the gamma made the lamp post not be so "trackable" lol, and along with that I turned of PFA and that gave it just enough time to retrack the person walking past the lamp post.

So your camera has the new GUI that is supposed to be more intuitive than the older, but not sure LOL.

Here is a video on how to set up tracking for that GUI:

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Awesome. I’m trying to set up an intrusion or fast moving object. I outline the area but keep getting a “please draw graphics first” message when I click apply. I’ll watch your video completely. I DEFINITELY see issues if you’re using a plug-in online. I’m using straight IE.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just use plain intrusion or tripwire. The fast moving object is relative on what is fast.

Yeah the PTZs are so browser dependent. But that looks correct and should accept it when you hit apply.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong. I followed the commentator’s directions to a T. I have a pre set of a given area. I selected IVS. I set a rule for a tripwire and clicked apply. The “apply” goes from a dark blue to a faded/light blue and the “please draw graphics first” pops up. I wonder if I should go back and enable smart AI on the other page? I’m getting ready for some trouble. My 6 week old has been up since 3. If he doesn’t kill my my wife will.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Yeah, I can’t get it to work. I’ve even added the plug in associated with the ptz page. The page works better. But I’m still unable to add a rule. I messaged Andy. I think if I can get this done, I’ll have a handle on the camera doing what I need it to.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It might be factory reset time. We have seen goofy things happen if someone opens it in a different browser.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It wouldn’t have anything to do with encoding would it? I swear I don’t want to get on a ladder and take that plate off. Oh well. It is what it is.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It shouldn't, but we have seen a lot of people with the new web GUI have to do a factory reset to get the camera going.

Out of habit, I always factory reset any new camera.

You can reset it from the GUI - you don't need to get up on the ladder.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
AWESOME!!!! I reset it when I first got it. The dummy paper that came with it told me to before I put in the sd card .

Perimeter

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you can take the cam to your desk, I would suggest to play with it's detection settings on your desk. Put a cork on a wire and use it to activate tripwires, zones and all, with the rules visible.
This helped me a great deal to understand how it works and when it won't work. Once I understood how this cam ticks, I found it easier to set it up for a person and to trouble-shoot my settings. Still learning.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
While the cork on a wire may have helped you when you were playing with cameras, an autotracking PTZ is an entirely different beast.

It is a lot harder to place this monster on a desk and test it LOL.

Further, vehicle and human AI will not be detected with a cork on a wire.

I am glad that process helped you understand how they trigger though. We have had many here claim the AI not work and when we would ask the questions, it turned out they were simply waving their hand in front of the camera from close range and that just isn't how the AI works LOL.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
While the cork on a wire may have helped you when you were playing with cameras, an autotracking PTZ is an entirely different beast.

It is a lot harder to place this monster on a desk and test it LOL.

Further, vehicle and human AI will not be detected with a cork on a wire.

I am glad that process helped you understand how they trigger though. We have had many here claim the AI not work and when we would ask the questions, it turned out they were simply waving their hand in front of the camera from close range and that just isn't how the AI works LOL.
Alright! I can set rules now and even observed my camera zoom in and follow cars. Im using a touchscreen laptop and had to long press once I was finished drawing. I’ve seen general, event and alarm recording sections. However, nothing is showing in the event sections like cars that have triggered my tripwire, zoomed in on and recorded. Is there a way to make it record these events so I can view them separately from the general recording?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you trying to watch recorded video in DMSS or the camera GUI?

By default the camera isn't set up to record video (ironic isn't it). The default is a snapshot. You have to enable the camera to record for that preset/IVS.

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Holy Sh*t. That was my next question. I’ve got like 6k snap shots and just want video. I’m viewing GUI. I’ll try and find the screen that enables the recording for IVS

Edit: IVS is switched on for all rules. Is that it?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is on this screen. Use Event Linkage to add record.

And then delete any you are not using. Delete snapshot and delete Alarm Out unless you hooked something to the I/O wire.

1682082265257.png

International784

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
When I select event linkage, it prompts me to “send email” for grins, I clicked send email and now have this.

Edit. I think I’m on the right screen now but get this message. “Motion detection linkage invalid due to manual control”

Attachments

Last edited: