Tracking Blue Iris minor updates?

bike_rider

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there a way to see what is in each minor update to v5 without updating BI and viewing the release notes? I downloaded the latest update, but cold not find any release notes.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No. The developer does not want to create release notes for minor updates, so we don't know what is in them for the most part.

Blackhawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It's pretty frustrating not to have any kind of changelog for Blue Iris. I often see a bug, wonder if it's fixed when I install a new release but it's just guesswork without a changelog.

It doesn't need to be a full release note. Even the most basic changelog (e.g. ) adds a lot of value and context.

I can't think of a single piece of software I pay for that doesn't have a decent changelog of some type. At least open source code you can see the commits directly on Github and they form a changelog of sorts.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's pretty frustrating not to have any kind of changelog for Blue Iris. I often see a bug, wonder if it's fixed when I install a new release but it's just guesswork without a changelog.

It doesn't need to be a full release note. Even the most basic changelog (e.g. https://www.binisoft.org/changelog.txt) adds a lot of value and context.

I can't think of a single piece of software I pay for that doesn't have a decent changelog of some type. At least open source code you can see the commits directly on Github and they form a changelog of sorts.
What did the developer say when you asked him? Put your money where your mouth is and use another vms that does document minor changes for you. The major change log is posted in the whats new section on this forum.

Blackhawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I try not to bug the developer with every single question I have.

bigbillsd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Interesting, we litterally pay for this software yearly. Changes in all updates should be in a change log, full stop. -Bill

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting, we litterally pay for this software yearly. Changes in all updates should be in a change log, full stop. -Bill
Yes, you pay an astonishing 30 bux. If you dont like the service provided use one of the other 100+ vms on the market. You wont. What did the developer tell you when you asked for a change log to the minor updates? You didnt bother asking.

bigbillsd

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
From reading this thread, I thought it was already asked. Based on your reply I was wrong. I will ask once I determine how to contact them. Previouly I used their email support link and that took weeks for an answer. It may have been a really busy time, but I haven't tried that again. -Bill

Blackhawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks for reminding me. I did just email support@blueirissoftware.com asking for a simple changelog, with a link to this thread.

@bigbillsd I suggest you and everyone else interested does the same.

Ironically my BI Install died with the latest update with a DLL runtime error.