Traffic Cams

Baje

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Im trying to setup some local traffic cams using IP cameras but have hit a stumbling block.

What id like to do is leverage the internet connection from homes and businesses next to the roadway to connect the cameras to remote hosting servers. There seem to be only 2 ways to do but neither of them fit my bill 100%.

1)RTSP would be difficult as the 2 sole ISP's that service the country both use CGNAT so to be able to forward the port id have to pay an extra $40/month for a static IP. Add to that these companies have the worst customer service in the world so it would be like pulling teeth to get it done. Mine at home took about 8 phone calls and 2 months to get done.

2)Locally based pc to encode the video and connect to remote servers. This would be cost prohibitive as well and too many moving parts for my liking.

The majority if not all camera systems nowadays have a P2P function built in to do basically what i need to achieve but are all locked down to their own servers.

Can anyone recommend something to do this?

Thanks and appreciate any help

Netwalker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I guess step one, I’m assuming you have received permission from the business/owners to use the connections?

Step two, I’d use a raspberry pi running a vpn client at each location and have them all tunnel back to your central location.

Technically it’s another computer, but they’re very cheap and flexible and add a bunch of remote troubleshooting capabilities.

Baje

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I guess step one, I’m assuming you have received permission from the business/owners to use the connections?

Step two, I’d use a raspberry pi running a vpn client at each location and have them all tunnel back to your central location.

Technically it’s another computer, but they’re very cheap and flexible and add a bunch of remote troubleshooting capabilities.
Im going to use the raspberry pi's as vpn clients as you suggested. Thought about that about an hour after posting and it even will give me more features than i already had wanted!

Thanks!