Tree Removal Time Lapse

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
LA County Public Works removed this old pine tree because it was in danger of toppling over under its own weight. I have a camera mounted to my mailbox in the perfect position to capture the whole event.

Keyboard

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Poor Tree!
First, it was fascinating to watch the tree coming down.

Second, I'm surprised that the tree didn't uproot some time ago. That monster was doing some serious leaning. That would have really hurt if it fell on a passing vehicle.

Third, I don't know why it reminded me of the decisions when giving up on an elderly person dealing with end-of-life ... Weird, I know.

Xeddog

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Man! Those guys were FAST! I have to agree, though, that they looked very efficient. I wonder if any of that wood was offered to woodworkers. Turners could have made some beautiful things from some of that wood, but it looks more like it went to landfill.

TheWaterbug

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Man! Those guys were FAST! I have to agree, though, that they looked very efficient. I wonder if any of that wood was offered to woodworkers. Turners could have made some beautiful things from some of that wood, but it looks more like it went to landfill.
They chip all the small stuff and send it off to composting sites for aging. After it's broken down a bit, they bring it to public sites as free mulch/compost for the public to pick up, for free.

I used to date a woman with a pickup truck, and we got several loads of great mulch this way. Then we broke up. I miss her truck.

The logs are still on the street, behind those cones. My guess is that they'll get picked up by someone who has a contract with the City, and they'll process them into firewood.

I'd take some of it for firewood myself if I didn't already have a huge surplus.