Trippy lines on IP camera?

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is a capture from my Hi3518e-based IP camera. Do these look familiar to anyone? Any settings I can adjust to fix them?IMG_6620.JPG

framednlv

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Try turning sharpness down. Other than that?

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
try adjusting the DWDR/WDR settings and maybe the AE threshold, assuming you're trying to improve the foreground definition of course...

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
out of interest, are you referring to the bit where the tree and gate meet?
Is the camera mounted inside looking out, with venitian blinds in that window?

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Here's a link to a clip of the distorted video:
It seems to work great at night though:

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
out of interest, are you referring to the bit where the tree and gate meet?
Is the camera mounted inside looking out, with venitian blinds in that window?
I mean the general horizontal and vertical lines that make up the video image, instead of the clear image. It's mounted outside, so no Venetian blinds :)

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ah ok, is the gate/tree in shadow at the time that's shot, as in backlit? At night the IR is camera side so the foreground area is well lit so looks sharp but in the day if its in shadow the sensor will struggle to make out any detail and CMOS sensors can be quite noisy if these a big difference in illumination levels. Might be worth tweaking AE, WDR and noise reduction settings and see if you can find the best balance tho bear in mind that this could compromise the night images too..

What sensor is fitted to the board as that can make a big difference to the performance, I've found the Sony IMX ones are a lot better than the OV ones I've tried so far, the IMX290 starvis one is excellent.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I would suggest it looks like either an exposure problem or possibly the IR cut filter being stuck. In the daytime, give a good hard smack and see if that IR filter moves out of the way of the lens..

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
ah ok, is the gate/tree in shadow at the time that's shot, as in backlit? At night the IR is camera side so the foreground area is well lit so looks sharp but in the day if its in shadow the sensor will struggle to make out any detail and CMOS sensors can be quite noisy if these a big difference in illumination levels. Might be worth tweaking AE, WDR and noise reduction settings and see if you can find the best balance tho bear in mind that this could compromise the night images too..

What sensor is fitted to the board as that can make a big difference to the performance, I've found the Sony IMX ones are a lot better than the OV ones I've tried so far, the IMX290 starvis one is excellent.
It's not in the shadow during the day, just not in direct sunlight all the time, but there doesn't seem to be any variance over the day. Every now then, I'll get single occasional frames that are free of the lines and look normal, then it goes right back to the lines.

I would suggest it looks like either an exposure problem or possibly the IR cut filter being stuck. In the daytime, give a good hard smack and see if that IR filter moves out of the way of the lens..
I'll try it! I've tried increasing exposure and decreasing it to every level possible, but there are always lines.

Here's a shot from twilight; the foreground looks mostly good, but the natural light background has the lines.
East_790538393.jpg

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
odd, when I see the pinkish hues I always suspect the IR filter first, but that twilight image has me scratching my head..

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
try adjusting the following:
Turn BLC open
Turn DWDR open
Auto-iris open
Slow shutter - non/off

Then see how that goes and tweak the AE reference, AGC limit, DWDR limit and DNC/AE sliders to see if you can get any improvement. It does sound from what you said that the sensor cannot handle the differences from a strongly backlit image and the fact that most is less well lit but the far background is bright that it just doesn't have the WDR ability to handle it well. Night IR works because its lighting the foreground and then you lose the background as its not lit.

m_listed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you for the tips Aengus4h, though I just tried all those at various settings, and still get the same results. The camera worked indoors well (although I did notice these same lines occasionally on small objects in the picture) but doesn't seem to deliver even a passable image outdoors despite being advertised as an outdoors camera. Could it be a voltage problem as well? What puzzles me is that sometimes, the video will give a perfect image for a few milliseconds and then go right back to being terrible, like this snapshot from a video:

IMG_6632.PNG

The video I got it from (see the variations):

Aengus4h

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
you could check the voltage on the wire, also is it running hot?

Doesn't look like it can cope with wide dynamic range too well, tho the location isn't helping it with the contrast between the bright background and the shaded foreground, making it work harder to pick out any detail in the shady regions. You mention it did similar indoors, was that also in high contrast parts of the picture? Does it perform ok outside if you move it so it has a more evenly lit image?