Trouble following dual NIC wiki guide

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am setting up four cameras for my home, and am absolutely hopelessly stuck at the changing camera IP address step.

Hardware:
Blue iris server:
Lenovo i5-2400 based system (old, but a place to start)
Windows 10 pro (build 19044)
motherboard NIC as NIC_1
Add on TP-Link NIC as NIC_2

Cameras:
2x IPC-E3241F-AS-M 2.8
2x IPC-T5442T-ZE

POE Switch:
Netgear GS305P attached to NIC_2

I have no issues finding them at the default 192.168.1.108, initializing them, and viewing the stream in the camera's web interface.

The trouble comes when I change the camera IP address from the default to the new subnet I picked for NIC_2. I chose my subnet and set it up in similar fashion to the wiki guide, but when I save the settings the camera goes offline at 192.168.1.108 and never becomes accessible at the new ip.

I have gone back through the dual NIC wiki so many times... Not sure what I am missing.

Any troubleshooting suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What is happening is that your computer is still on the 192.168.1.xxx IP address, so once you change 192.168.1.108 to whatever IP address range you changed it to, you then need to put the computer on the IP address range of the cameras

Check and make sure that both NICs are not on the same 192.168.1.XX IP address range.

You will need to manually assign an IP address to NIC 2 that is the same IP address subnet of your cameras.

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What is happening is that your computer is still on the 192.168.1.xxx IP address, so once you change 192.168.1.108 to whatever IP address range you changed it to, you then need to put the computer on the IP address range of the cameras

Check and make sure that both NICs are not on the same 192.168.1.XX IP address range.

You will need to manually assign an IP address to NIC 2 that is the same IP address subnet of your cameras.
I was almost certain I followed the wiki example exactly, but I just reset everything and started over. Now it seems to be working!

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
What NIC are you going to the Web with? NIC1? What is the gateway IP address being used by NIC1?
So are you intializing them on NIC1 and then looking for them on NIC2?
I think the guys are leaving the gateway address Blank on Nic2? am i remembering that right?

AvengeMyLawn

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What NIC are you going to the Web with? NIC1? What is the gateway IP address being used by NIC1?
So are you intializing them on NIC1 and then looking for them on NIC2?
I think the guys are leaving the gateway address Blank on Nic2? am i remembering that right?
I told it backwards. I am using NIC2 for the BI server to talk to my main LAN. Static IP assigned to BI in 192.168.1.### subnet.

NIC1 (motherboard NIC) I set up with a static IP in 192.168.40.### with no gateway. I gave it an Additional 192.168.1.### static ip to see the default camera IP for initial setup.

put a dummy gateway in cameras per the wiki and all is working. Got all the cameras into BI.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Good job Dude. that shit can be a deal breaker for some folks (me the Caveman) sometimes. AKA ( Joe 5 pack) 1 can short of a full party.