Trouble getting Hik TFTP firmware update to complete - will transmit data

miglior

n3wb
Reaction score
hi guys,

Im at my whits end of googling and forum searching for the last few days.

After an unsucessful firmware update of a PTZ camera of mine DS-2DF8223-1 AEL, i have failed to regain control of it.

It was set a static IP of 192.168.0.15 when working.

Heres what ive tried.

Loading firmwares with TFTP with IP address 192.0.0.128. Nothing, wouldnt connect.

I used Wireshark to snoop in the packets being looked for. Sure enough my camera requests 192.168.0.15 very fast when it boots. but it is on a different subnet.

when i set my ipv4 settings to 192.168.1.128 and use TFTP I can quite easily get the data to transfer to the camera.

So..... here is the dilema.

In TFTP it finds the camera.. transmits the Firmware but it just loops out. We're in a constant "connected to client success, start file transmitting, completed file transmit" loop.

Now the first thing I thought was to maybe try the firmware from the date the camera was manufactured.

These are the firmwares I have tried

V5.4.9_Build170123
V5.5.0_Build170731
V5.5.2_Build171201
V5.5.71_Build180723

5.5.2 and 5.5.71. did seem to "install" better, there was less time between all this loop action and afterward teh camera would show up in SADP with the newer firmware versions but It was still not accessible via the web.

Like it was in a minimum operation mode.

please help with any suggestions or further questions :)

miglior

n3wb
Reaction score
i have found a 5.5.0 firmware from the Global hikviison download portal. This actually works. Any other firmware from the UK or EU portal bricks the unit!! :(

Although i have another of these PTZ cams on the same site running 5.5.71 strange. my camera is "CCWR" though

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
In TFTP it finds the camera.. transmits the Firmware but it just loops out. We're in a constant "connected to client success, start file transmitting, completed file transmit" loop.
That's an indication that the version of firmware, when evaluated after the download, is rejected as not compatible by the update program.

Now the first thing I thought was to maybe try the firmware from the date the camera was manufactured.
Hikvision have implemented a 'downgrade block' which prevents earlier versions of firmware being installed, even if they were just tried and rejected.

i have found a 5.5.0 firmware from the Global hikviison download portal. This actually works.
What was different in the firmware file name or other applicable info from the files you tried from the EU portal?

miglior

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm really not too sure of the difference, the names are the same and the KB size is also the same. To check I haven't gone completely insane, I did try the 5.5.0 file again from the EU portal and it did not work.

Interestingly, a successful firmware update on this camera via TFTP never results in me seeing a success message on the log. I just have to wait until I get the confirmation that the file has transferred over successfully then I close the TFTP window. I leave it 20 mins or so to check the cam shows up on SADP, then try the IP via browser and with the global firmware It works.

If I leave TFTP I get nothing, it doesn't continue to loop like last time but it does hang at the file transmission success point. I have emailed hikvision to see if there is a solution.

Even more bizarrely, this isn't the only PTZ of this model on this site. One of them has 5.5.71 installed and seems fine :(

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
Interestingly, a successful firmware update on this camera via TFTP never results in me seeing a success message on the log.
Well, that's certainly unusual.
There is normally the upgrade confirmation message if all has gone well.

If I leave TFTP I get nothing, it doesn't continue to loop like last time but it does hang at the file transmission success point. I have emailed hikvision to see if there is a solution.
Again, odd behaviour.
It would be good if they respond, but it might be a bit technical for their first-line support.

Well done though for persisting and getting a resolution.