Trouble understanding how to apply region settings and schedules correctly

dougie

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a DH-DHI-NVR4108HS-8P-AI/ANZ and DH-IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV-ANZ

1, Under Alarm: motion detection I have selected an area that covers my front yard but excludes the road. I keep getting alerts for cars and people on the road and can't work out why.

2. The schedule under Alarm: motion detection and AI: SMD is the same so changing one changes the other. I don't understand how I can record motion 24/7 but only have the TIOC voice and flashing light alarm activate at certain times.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not well versed in the Tioc's as I think they're more gimmick than useful, that said:

Avoid using old fashioned MD altogether. IVS is so far superior its almost funny that they still include MD. They are two very different technologies for detection.
SMD is great in theory, meh at best in practice. Its an AI layer on top of MD with many warts. Area definition (unless they fixed it recently) is All or none. Meaning your MD area means nothing to SMD which looks at the entire scene whether you like it or not.
Moving off of MD/SMD to IVS will alone will cut your false alerts to next to 0.

dougie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for your help. so it seems the only way to confine TIOC alarms to a certain area is to use masking. After finding this forum I realised that the pic quality of the camera I bought leaves a lot to be desired but now finding out the limitations of the TIOC I'm feeling somewhat scammed.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Not scammed, it has its place, but the whole flashing lights/siren thing requires certain environments to be useful I prefer focusing on the image quality first.

I'm not sure if said masking will cancel the overall scene detection of SMD anyway...?

Anyway, Im sure 90% of it is like any other Dahua camera, Im just not deeply familiar with the flashing red and blue lights part.

Others will be along

For starters, see if you can find and enable SmartPlan, then IVS and draw tripwire lines and/or intrusion zones to isolate what you need to trip an alert.
(Turn off MD/SMD while doing this. SMD cant run simultaneous with IVS anyway and you will get less frustrated concentrating on one detection plan at a time.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Unless they had to further dumb down this camera, you should be able to use IVS instead of motion detection for the alarms.

But, this is active deterrence camera on an 8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor, so it is on a horrible MP/sensor ratio. You cannot have enough light at night for it to perform well. That sensor is designed for 2MP so a 2MP camera will kick its butt all night long.

Even worse, since this 8MP is on the same sensor and CPU as a 2MP non TIOC camera and there are many threads here showing how under-performing that 3849 is. They had to limit bitrate and other parameters on the 3849 to try to make it functional, and it just doesn't cut it.

This is what happens when someone chases MP over sensor and this camera is the epitome of that thinking.

Further, the red/blue flashing lights are more gimmicky and are certainly not a deterrent. With any ambient light you won't see the red/blue flashing unless you are looking right at the camera.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

Lot's of threads here where people showed how bad the 3849 camera is in performing:

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV issues

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV loses connection/reboots during the day

Replaced HDW5442TMP-ASE by HFW3849T1P

Dahua 8mp (TIOC): Full Colour, Active Deterrence & AI

IPC-HDW3849H-AS-PV Video Quality

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
WOW - that is not the case with the 2MP or 4MP version.

dougie

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahhhhh this is doing my head in..... I've been able to set a schedule and turn on the flashing lights and audio in IVS. I also want motion enabled so I can get alerts at all times without setting of the lights and audio, but for some reason this is now setting off the lights and audio which I'm sure wasn't the case when I was using SMD...... feels like I'm going round in circles

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You do not want to use IVS and motion detection. Just use IVS.

Try this:

Create an IVS rule that doesn't turn the alarms on and that is what alerts you.

Create another IVS rule with a schedule for when you want the alarms to go off.

dougie

n3wb
Reaction score
Thankyou! I think I finally have this working how I had hoped!

Last edited:

dougie

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm 99% of the way there now. Final problem is I can see general and intelligent on the seek bar when I go to the search option for playback, but the alarms don't show. I've double checked the schedules and can't work out why.