Troubleshooting help needed

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Bought an 8 channel NVR, 3 IPC-T5241 turret cameras, and a 49225 PTZ from Andy in Nov 2020. All have been working great until recently. Had a power outage, and when power was restored, the PTZ camera shows "Failed to find network host" on the NVR (says Channel is offline on DMSS). Have seen all 4 cameras offline after a power outage in the past and rebooting the NVR brought them all back. No luck trying to bring back the PTZ this time. I think something may be wrong with the PTZ camera but have also noticed that the other 3 cameras are all going off line at the same time and coming back on at the same time at no set frequency or duration, maybe off a few minutes or 10 hours and may occur multiple times during a day. May go a few days and not go off at all. All cameras show channel offline on DMSS when it does this. So now I suspect there be an issue with the NVR being the cause of some the problems. Thoughts??? I had bought 2 new PTZs a couple of months ago to replace 2 of the 5241 turrets but I want to find out whats going on with the channels going off line before I do.

Brought the PTZ camera inside and plugged into its assigned port on the NVR, nothing. Tried it in another port, nothing. Brought in a working camera and plugged it into its assigned port, worked. Moved it to the PTZs port, nothing. Rebooted NVR, nothing. Moved back to its port, worked. Took working camera to PTZ location and hooked it up, came back in and plugged into its port 3, worked. Cable to PTZ good. Moved cable to PTZs port 4, nothing.

Guessing cameras are assigned to ports the were set up on. So if I want to check port 4 with the good camera, do I need to delete the cameras from channel 3 and 4 and then plug in the working camera on port 4 to see if it appears, and then the PTZ on port 3.

One other problem, channel 1 camera works fine, but I cannot access its UI thru IE, says that the webpage at its address is having issues or it has permanently moved to another web address. The other 2 cameras are accessible.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
@sebastiantombs
Do you have a way to power that ptz other than the NVR? It would be worth it to see if it works from a different power source.
I have a funny feeling the NVR sustained an injury in the power outage this time. Like it's Brain got scrambled, or it hurt the POE power circuit in some way.
Maybe the Powersupply to the NVR took a hit.
I wonder if you could completely reset the DVR back to dumb and start over. Or reload the firmware to see if some bits or bytes got screwed up.

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't think it came with an alternate source, but one of my new PTZs has one, I'll have to look tomorrow to see if it is compatible voltage. Is there something I need to switch off on the NVR POE+ port before plugging in the cable. Or am I just wanting to know if there are signs of life when I attach alternate power to the camera?

I have the same funny feeling you do. I may try the reset on the NVR tomorrow. I'll check to see if the unused ports will work before and after. I'll check to see if firmware version can be restored or if there is a newer one recommended. Back when I first joined the forum one of the mantras on firmware upgrades was if it ain't broke don't fix it. Maybe looking at a case of broke. I'll have to see if there is anywhere that works on electronics near me if its a hardware issue.

The last issue I mentioned I think is resolved. I told the computer to open the NVR access page in IE, but didn't close down the window and reopen it, so I guess it was still in EDGE mode and not IE. Looks like there is a plug-in to download for seeing the video in settings. The old computer I was using with IE for access to camera settings has since bit the dust.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
if you power the PTZ with an alternate source, plug in the cat5 cable as well and see if one of the ports on the nvr will recoconize it. This however does not fix the fact that ALL the cameras go offline for no reason. NVR's are Cheap. For the time you spend horsing around with a damaged one only to find out its damaged, you could be up and running with a new one. And also buy an Uninteruptable Power supply to save the next NVR.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Try a physical reset of the PTZ to see if it will default back to 192.168.1.108.

Don't be in a rush to update the firmware on the PTZ. The later versions released by Dahua will strip the autotracking functionality from the camera. Look in the 49225 thread for the latest firmware from Andy.

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
if you power the PTZ with an alternate source, plug in the cat5 cable as well and see if one of the ports on the nvr will recoconize it. This however does not fix the fact that ALL the cameras go offline for no reason. NVR's are Cheap. For the time you spend horsing around with a damaged one only to find out its damaged, you could be up and running with a new one. And also buy an Uninteruptable Power supply to save the next NVR.
Thank you for replying!!!

OK, I was worried there might be an issue with POE and alternate power source applied together. If port power is dead maybe no issue unless shorted. I guess my bigger concern would be not to damage camera if its a port only issue but will try that.

I think I'll look at ordering a new NVR and I just bought a new UPS for the computer, modem, router, weather station and was going to put the old one in here on the NVR, but latest power outage, the batteies went down rapidly on the old one, so I may just get another new one. I had changed the batteries out a couple of years ago.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Try a physical reset of the PTZ to see if it will default back to 192.168.1.108.

Don't be in a rush to update the firmware on the PTZ. The later versions released by Dahua will strip the autotracking functionality from the camera. Look in the 49225 thread for the latest firmware from Andy.
Thank you, will try that as well. I just hope its not dead. Have a few chores to do, so it may be a little later today or tomorrow before I can report back.

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Another quick question, does the NVR POE+ ports put out 12 and 24 VDC, I'm not seeing that on its spec sheets, just 25.5 watts max per channel. The power supply I have is 24 VDV for a sd5a425 ptz, the 49225 shows to be 12 VDC.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Another quick question, does the NVR POE+ ports put out 12 and 24 VDC, I'm not seeing that on its spec sheets, just 25.5 watts max per channel. The power supply I have is 24 VDV for a sd5a425 ptz, the 49225 shows to be 12 VDC.
POE+ operates at 50 to 57 VDC at the PSE (in this case, your NVR's POE ports) up to 25.5W at that voltage, according to Wikipedia.

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks Tony, so does that mean the 24 V power supply would not hurt the 12 V ptz. I am not electrical/electronics fluent. I know that I know just enough to be dangerous.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks Tony, so does that mean the 24 V power supply would not hurt the 12 V ptz. I am not electrical/electronics fluent. I know that I know just enough to be dangerous.
Use only a power supply with the rated voltage and current capability as specified by the device you're attempting to power up. Do not power a 12V device with a 24v supply.

Is the camera said to be "POE capable" or the like?

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Yeah, but he's checking it with a damaged NVR.....so I only suggested that as an option....Until he gets his NVR issue straightened out, he doesn't have a way to check his PTZ.

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tony: It is an sd49225xa-hnr that I have issue with. It has been running completely on POE port on back of the NVR for a year and a half. The 49225 specs says 12 VDC, 3 A (± 10%) PoE+
So does the NVR somehow sense and regulate the required DC voltage going to the cameras or does the higher voltage only work thru the cat cable connection?

Flintstone61: I know port 1, 2, and 3 are good if the cams are on. Port 4, I don't know about. I will try to find a 12 volt power source, it looks like I hook up to the red and black wires of the red/white/black wire cable of the camera.

All: The installation manuals would help to have some verbiage along with their ABCD wiring diagram pics. The new 5a425 ptz came wiith basically the same install manual pic as the 49225, the 5a425 came with a power adapter, but its wires are not red and black as the wiring diagram shows. The diagram doesn't even tell what any of the wires/cables are or the sources. The ethernet cable diagram is pretty self explanatory to me though.
Looks like it will be a couple of hours before I can play with it.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Tony: It is an sd49225xa-hnr that I have issue with. It has been running completely on POE port on back of the NVR for a year and a half. The 49225 specs says 12 VDC, 3 A (± 10%) PoE+
So does the NVR somehow sense and regulate the required DC voltage going to the cameras or does the higher voltage only work thru the cat cable connection?
No.
Generally, use 1 or the other:
POE+ onto the RJ-45 (Ethernet) connector
OR
12VDC @ 3A on the discrete red (+) and black (-) wires or female 5.5mm outside x 2.1 mm inside power jack (center is +, outer is -)

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thank you Flintstone61, I guess I'll get over my "You Dumbass" (senior) moment. LOL. I will have to come up with a source with a jack, if you still think I need to try aux power after reading this.

Thanks TonyR and sebastiantombs too for putting up with my deficient camera knowledge.

OK here is what I've done so far. Brought the ptz and one of the turret cameras inside. Using a good cable from when I initially hooked up cameras before installing them. plugged turret camera called back porch from port 3 in to port 7. Showed up as back porch channel 7, status light green and had picture. Unplugged turret camera and plugged in ptz camera. Still showed back porch camera on port 7 status light red, no picture after long wait. Same thing port 8, same results. Thinking maybe port retains channel info, removed channels 4, 7, and 8. Plugged PTZ back in to port 7, nothing, plugged ptz in to port 8 nothing. Plugged turret into port 7, shows up and got picture. unplugged from channel 7 and plugged in channel 8, and shows up and got picture. Unplugged from port 8 and plugged in to port 4, nothing happens.

With the turret camera plugged in to a good port, i can measure 12 V on its aux power plug, didn't try port 4. With the ptz plugged in to a good port, it shows no voltage on its aux power plug.

I'm thinking POE port 4 is fried, and may be cause of the other cameras all dropping out at times. I'm now suspecting my ptz may have suffered a near lightening event that fed back and caused it all.

What do y'all think? Are any of you doing any "thunder proofing" of cables for outdoor cameras? My turrets are mounted to the vinyl soffits the eaves of my house. The ptz was mounted on the gable end of an RV shed and the shed is grounded with a 6 or 7 foot ground rod.

I'm gonna talk with Andy about the NVR and the PTZ for his thoughts and probably order another NVR then find someplace to take/send them to see if either can be reasonably repaired and save the NVR for a spare or if needed for expansion / or different location.