Troubleshooting help needed

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
I think the whole poe module failed after the outage, just replaec a new one if you already used years.

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Tony R: My 49225 doesn't have the black/red power pair, just the power connector. I'll have to get a power supply with the right specs and jack. I've got a 6V 2.5A with the right jack and a 12V 1.6A with too small of a jack.

Andy: thanks for posting, if you would send me a quote for new NVR. I sent you an email request if you haven't already seen it. 1 and 1/2 years old.

I'll report the aux power test on the camera when I get power supply. Thanks everybody.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Tony R: My 49225 doesn't have the black/red power pair, just the power connector. I'll have to get a power supply with the right specs and jack. I've got a 6V 2.5A with the right jack and a 12V 1.6A with too small of a jack.

Andy: thanks for posting, if you would send me a quote for new NVR. I sent you an email request if you haven't already seen it. 1 and 1/2 years old.

I'll report the aux power test on the camera when I get power supply. Thanks everybody.
aha, i already send you the paypal invoice, will try to ship out fast for you, then you can hook up this weekend.

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Searching the threads, I found what I think I need for near lightning surge protection of the cable to ptz on the rv shed. TonyR, do you still feel the Ubiquiti ETH-SP is a good set up for each end of the cable run? Going to town today to see if I can find the power supply. If I don't find one I will also order the one you recommended and the cable surge protectors.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Searching the threads, I found what I think I need for near lightning surge protection of the cable to ptz on the rv shed. TonyR, do you still feel the Ubiquiti ETH-SP is a good set up for each end of the cable run?
Yes, I do but first I have a question: is the CAT cable shielded?

If "YES" then:​
I would not install one on each end IF the shield is tied to ground at both ends, that could cause a ground loop. " In your post # you stated "...The ptz was mounted on the gable end of an RV shed and the shed is grounded with a 6 or 7 foot ground rod. "​
I'd install one ETH-SP on the shed end and tie its ground buss to that driven ground rod.​
If "NO" then:​
I'd install a ETH-SP on the shed end and tie its ground buss to that driven ground rod.​
At the house end you could install a second ETH-SP and tie its ground buss to the closest CONFIRMED earth ground. If further away than 3 feet I'd drive another 6 ft. ground rod and tie the ETH-SP's grounding buss to that with minimum #10 stranded copper, no sharp bends.​

Last edited:

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well I got the new NVR, UPS, aux power supply, but the surge protectors are still a week out. Will switch over to the new NVR tomorrow when the UPS batteries are fully charged. Played with the ptz on the old NVR. Plugged in the aux power first and the camera appeared to come to life. IRs lit up, camera went thru maneuvers like it does on power up, Plugged in the ethernet, looked at the monitor, no pic. checked camera status page, aha, change screen from 4 to 9 channels and there we are on channel 8. Pull out my phone, open DMSS, click on the ptz, click on the remote, yep it moves, and a minute later it returns to home position.

Looking back on the NVR, I am not seeing the cameras dropping out after I unplugged the ptz and brought it inside except once, and that may have been me rebooting the NVR. I guess its possible that something made the NVR's PoE overload or think it had overloaded while the camera was still plugged in causing the dropouts on the other cameras.

I'd really like to know the root cause of all this. I'm speculating I had a lightning event that caused a short or something in the PoE of the camera which in turn knocked out its port on the NVR. Just seems more likely than the power going off and on 3 or 4 times in succession causing the problem. I think the power outage timing allowed me to discover there was a problem. I may be wrong, what do Y'all think???

I'm not putting a camera back up on the shed until I get the surge protectors installed. I think I will see if I can find someone to look at the camera and NVR while I'm waiting on them to arrive next weekend. At least get the PoE fixed on the camera if possible and if I'm lucky have at least a fully functioning 7 channel NVR as a spare if can't be reasonably fixed.

Any other suggestions???

mbuster

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I did find a place that showed they worked on computers and advertised to install security and audio/video alarm systems. T?he phone receptionist told me they could work on cameras and NVRs. I get there and describe the problem with the camera and the NVR to this young guy. As I describe the camera problem, he talked like it could be just the NVR. I describe the NVR problem, he talked like it could be the camera. I was told that you just have to replace the cameras, because parts were usually not available. but I should check with the manufacturer. Asked about fixing the NVR, could they replace the PoE module and was told they were usually soldered onto the board. I had to bite my tongue to keep from asking if they had a soldering gun or not.

I asked if there was a way to disable PoE power in the camera, he didn't know, so I asked if he knew which cable wires were suppling power to the camera. He never asked what brand/model of camera I had.. He looked it up and said the center pair and the left pair looking in at the camera plug. I don't know if that is an industry standard or not. He wasn't clear on which were DC+ and DC-.

I guess I have a 7 channel NVR as a back up. I'll do some searching to verify the wiring and build a short cable with the power wires not crimped in the plug to see if that lets the camera work with the auxiliary power supply as the only power going to it to test it in the house with the old NVR. I'm going to build a short cable anyway to install the surge protector on the camera end.

I did ask on the way out what brand of cameras they handled - Reolink.