Truck- Expedition vehicle Driving thermal camera help.

expedition

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi guys, Im trying to find the right camera for Detecting Vehicles-Cyclist-People when driving at night on an expedition vehicle, in places where no light are available.

Do you think this camera will do the trick?

Dahua TPC-BF5421-TD

I know is for people temperature but is the biggest sensor I found. And Biggest sensor means further detection and Id of objects.

Thanks!!

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
No. Not even close. If it is for the driver to use, then get an automotive thermal camera solution.

If it is for passengers to use through open windows, then there are plenty of handheld thermal monoculars on the market.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

expedition

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks! PathFindIR looks good, but its designed to be mounted in a car or SUV, low mounting. Im talking about a big construction truck. This will be for Driver but also will have a normal cameras for side views and a nvr.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't try to use IP cameras for driving. They add video delay and significant chance of glitches like the video freezing or getting corrupted. You'd be sacrificing safety.

If this is to be used away from public roads, you may find that high-powered LED floodlights mounted on the roof would be much more effective. It isn't too difficult to get lights that make a vehicle's headlights look like wax candles.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's just one quick example of what I'm talking about. Loads cheaper than a thermal camera, and much easier to use and more reliable. You just can't use them where they could interfere with other drivers.

There are bigger and brighter floodlights out there -- it would be up to you to decide what is appropriate.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Those are likely analog HD cameras which are safer for driving because they'll have extremely low delay when used as recommended, and most likely if the camera were to suddenly fail you would lose picture immediately instead of being stuck with a freeze-frame.

expedition

n3wb
Reaction score
Ok! Thanks for the advice. Will try to build it over analog cameras, and analog DVR, right? Any other Thermal with lower cost for driving?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
None that I am aware of. You could easily spend $3k by the time you're done. Maybe less with the non-FLIR stuff but it might not be as good.