Try it or return it? Uniview IPC2328SB-DZK-I0 - Tec IPB4K212MX

paulyboy83

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all
I bought all uniview tec (needed to be compatible with a Deep Sentinel system). I wasn't planning on using the Uniview NVR as it just seems clunky and was thinking BlueIris.

FFWD what the rep said he would recommend for LPR via 3rd party NVR would be This cam IPC2328SB-DZK-I0 or here via the TEC rebrand IPB4K212MX
So I do have 2 of these for potentially future BI and LPR setup, or potentially UNV NVR. Likely the former if anything.
My view angles for LPR will be:
Height is 30" off ground
Cam 1 @ 54ft at 23 degrees
Cam 2 @ 39ft at 18 degrees

I can go out further if need be, however I'm trying to be mindful of maybe using BI to make these more of a daycam setting during day (zoom out) as opposed to dedicated LPR.
These are both mounted to same CMU mailbox so I'd like uniformity and same model on both sides.

I know this board seems to be partial to the Z12E but

Question
Should I return these (after install the distributor doesn't really want to take them back) and just get something else or do you guys think they will work and just go for it and try these?

Thanks forum members for your advice

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
8MP on a 1/2.8" sensor is going to have poor performance in reduced lighting and/or at night time, especially if there's motion.....and a LPR needs GREAT performance at night as it's attempting to capture an image of a plate on a moving vehicle.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Both of those cameras are 8MP on the 1/2.8" sensor designed for 2MP, so the cameras will perform poorly at night.

The reason the Z12E is a fan favorite here is because outside of a PTZ or $1k plus camera, you can't find a sub $300 camera with a focal length up to 64mm.

Both of those cameras you are looking at max out as 12mm focal length. That makes them good for plate reading at 20-25 feet. 39 feet is pushing it, and 54 feet is probably not going to happen. Especially at night.

You need 32mm to read plates in the 40-60ish foot range reliably. Doesn't mean you won't be able to read and guess some with smaller focal lengths, but if you want reliable, you need a focal length for the distance you are at.

So if you made the camera wide (Zoom out) during the day, you will not be reading plates at those distances.

Reading plates are all about angle, shutter speed, and the appropriate focal length for the distance.

The goal is to make the plate as large as possible on the field of view.

For most, that means that the field of view is not much larger than the size of the vehicle.

See the LPR subforum for more details.

paulyboy83

n3wb
Reaction score
I went ahead and ordered IPC-B52IR-Z12E S2 and IPC-B54IR-Z4E S3 and will compare them.

Thank you guys for the advice.