Trying to add a an ip, ptz camera to my dvr setup using any of the following items...

Reaction score
Hello there,
first time posting here, so I'm trying to set up a Lorex DVR system using the Lorex cameras that came with the kit, but I would also like to add this excellent Ptz camera. now the regular lorex cams connect to the back of the DVR via BNC.. the ptz camera on the other is a POE camera with a few different wire options which I will include in pics below.
so basically, if I'm not wrong, the Lorex system uses coax via BNC, which is not via ethernet. upon doing some research, and almost magically stumbling on some Baluns as a friend had, I immediately thought even before checking that I had found the sauce needed to make this thing work. so while at first it seems kinda straight forward, no matter how I configure it im not getting the DVR to acknowledge or show the signal. ike i said I have some pics I will include, the issue I'm having is that in the few different configs im trying, none of them are delivering any signal, as far as I can tell to the DVR, so any suggestions would help.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thar isn't how the baluns work - they do not convert IP cams to analog cams.

The baluns allow you to use an ethernet cable for the stretch of run for bnc cables. So it is an ethernet run instead of BNC run for the whole distance.

If your DVR is an analog unit and not a hybrid, there is nothing you can do to make an IP camera work in it.

You need either a hybrid NVR that accepts analog and IP or add a computer with Blue Iris and bring the DVR fees into it and the IP cam.

Reaction score
Oh, okay. So, it seems there might not be a way to make IP cameras connect to DVRs. I thought I came across a few methods for this, but that's alright. On the other hand, if I understand correctly, you're suggesting that I set up my system on a computer that already works well with the PTZ PoE camera. From there, I could simply add the feeds I'm receiving from my DVR into the application. I'm curious about the best approach for doing this. Currently, I'm using an iMac. My plan is to complete the DVR setup with its cameras, and then output everything via HDMI as usual, but direct it to my Mac instead. I assume there might be some assistance required, given that iMacs don't have HDMI input.
This leads me to think about a USB-C hub I bought, which includes an HDMI port along with various other features. I've also heard about Blue Iris – would you recommend using that?
Lastly, I purchased two PTZ cameras a while ago, getting a good deal on eBay. Looking back, that might not have been the wisest choice. I've encountered compatibility issues right from the start. One of the cameras even had incorrect login information on the side label, which resulted in me putting them on the shelf for about a year. Occasionally, I'd try various methods to factory reset them, despite the absence of a reset button. I think I managed to achieve it through the config tool, although I can't recall the exact process. With no company labels to be found, I found some success with information meant for the Dahua brand. Does that approach make sense?