Trying to add camera to BI

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi. I am currently using Xprotect and am wanting to do a trial of Blue Iris. I have installed Blue Iris 5 on a separate machine to Xprotect. The separate machine is connected via ethernet to my router which is in turn connected to the POE switch that has my 3 cameras connected. The machine running Xprotect is connected directly to one of the ports of the switch. The cameras are set to RTP/UDP because I have had long standing issues when using TCP/IP which I was never able to resolve. TCP/IP causing the frame rate to fluctuate wildly in Xprotect and also I was getting some ghosting and artifacts. Despite Cat 5 E cable throughout and gigabit ports throughout. There seemed to be a bottleneck in my network which I could never identify. Anyway UDP has worked flawlessly with no lost packets. I'm only running 10 - 15 FPS by the way on three 2MP cameras.

I have tried adding a camera to Blue Iris without success. My cameras are Onvif and can be discovered no problem. I cam also see the cameras by browsing to the IP address no problem. I have also tried several different configs with no success. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to start?

Also - is it necessary for me to shut down the various services related to Xprotect while experimenting with Blue Iris, or can I have the streams simultaneously going to two different types of software on separate machines? I did shutdown all Xprotect services when I tried to add camera to Blue Iris but it would be easier not to have to do in future if not necessary.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Are you using the find/inspect in BI after putting in the IP address and the user and password when adding the camera?

Which cameras?

The issue with two different platforms going would come down to the network capability and the cameras - if the camera can support simultaneous logins then it won't be an issue.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Yes - I am doing that. The cameras are American Dynamics Illustra i610. I also tried manually adding profile listed for "American Dynamics" and "Ilustra" in the dropdown but neither worked.

I think I can simultaneously login no problem because I can login and change settings in Cameras while Xprotect is running and it seems fine.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Try plugging the BI machine directly into the PoE switch just for laughs. It's not a good idea to run cameras through a router, especially an ISP router, because of the limited bandwidth capacity they have.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI normally does a very good job of finding the right camera settings to use - for most it is the generic.

What did yours come up with under find/inspect?

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Try plugging the BI machine directly into the PoE switch just for laughs. It's not a good idea to run cameras through a router, especially an ISP router, because of the limited bandwidth capacity they have.
Thanks - I will do this if I get it to work ok.

What did yours come up with under find/inspect?
Yes it used the generic profile when using inspect function.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I am assuming you tried the different models under generic?

Also, make sure that HA is turned off in the main BI settings page and the camera setting page.

I am not familiar with that camera, but try H264 and no smart codec.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also, make sure that HA is turned off in the main BI settings page and the camera setting page.

I am not familiar with that camera, but try H264 and no smart codec.
I was trying to do direct to disk recording with H264. The cameras are a bit older now and don't support H265.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I was trying to do direct to disk recording with H264. The cameras are a bit older now and don't support H265.
Sounds good - just make sure there isn't a codec like H264+ or H or another drop down in the camera that adds additional coding to it.

Gilera

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Sounds good - just make sure there isn't a codec like H264+ or H or another drop down in the camera that adds additional coding to it.
The camera only supports standard H264 (Dual simultaneous streams H.264, MJPEG). Codec quality options for H.264: CBR(500~8Mbps), VBR, CVBR