Trying to configure Email notifications through private SMTP server, any ideas?

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello, I am trying configure email notifications on Hikvision camera and use a private (MS Exchange) SMTP server with authenticated relay.
I have tested the connection on a DELL printer so I know it works. But I put same settings on the camera and it doesn't work.
Any ideas what to try?

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
PS: The camera doesn't work with GMail, it was working with GMX which stopped working recently. I'm tired of having a system dependent on other providers. I'd rather just host my SMTP and know it works.

DLONG2

Known around here
Reaction score
Wish I could help with that, but what I did was leverage the SMTP server which the hosting company of my hobby domain includes, and it works well.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wish I could help with that, but what I did was leverage the SMTP server which the hosting company of my hobby domain includes, and it works well.
Hosting companies probably won't mess things up as often as Gmail but still can. Also their free email accounts are usually very limited. Not sure if it is worth paying and if it will even work.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
DS-2CD3145F-I with Firmware version V5.3.3, build 150803.

PS: I was able to get it to work with a godaddy email account but that is not optimal solution. For multiple reasons but mainly because they give only 1GB which will get filled up fast. I'd really like to use my own SMTP server, and preferably Exchange (I tried with and without authentication).

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
With your own smtp relay server you should be able to get gmail working.

But you will need to have your relay server complete the STARTTLS encryption gmail now requires.

I havent done this myself as I'm still using SSL but eventually I may need to implement a replay server.

The basic premise should be incoming to relay server domain for relay server url + port 587 + with gmail user name and password and relay server implement onward encryption gmail requires.

Some guys on here have implemented and should be able give exact details.

1advancing

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
With your own smtp relay server you should be able to get gmail working.

But you will need to have your relay server complete the STARTTLS encryption gmail now requires.

I havent done this myself as I'm still using SSL but eventually I may need to implement a replay server.

The basic premise should be incoming to relay server domain for relay server url + port 587 + with gmail user name and password and relay server implement onward encryption gmail requires.

Some guys on here have implemented and should be able give exact details.
You should probably read the post again, I don't want to use gmail and trying to avoid it, and it doesn't even work on this camera.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The smtp relay principal applies to any email provider. Will make them all work.

Gmail stopped working because they applied and required encryption StartTLS, same with GMX.

Thats the reason it no longer works, smtp relay does the encryption for you.

tradertim

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The smtp relay principal applies to any email provider. Will make them all work.

Gmail stopped working because they applied and required encryption StartTLS, same with GMX. Cameras dont support it.

Thats the reason it no longer works smtp relay does the encryption for you.