Trying to get RTSP stream through a Powerline adapter to another PC

bel12

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an RTSP camera and my goal is to record motion events on a PC located out of reach from the router.

The PC is connected to the powerline adapter, which is naturally connected to the router via AC network.

The internet from the Power adapter works fine, it is only when I try to connect to other devices in the house (like in the case of the RTSP) that it just doesn't work.

I recall reading that a Powerline adapter is very similar to pulling a long cable from the router. But in this case I can find a workaround :(

Thanks in advance!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What camera is it? Some are proprietary and need their software to run it, so if the other PC doesn't have it, then it won't work.

Or it is a networking permission issue.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The internet from the Power adapter works fine, it is only when I try to connect to other devices in the house (like in the case of the RTSP) that it just doesn't work.
Please clarify "...it just doesn't work":
  • How are you trying to stream RTSP from the cam?
  • VLC? A browser? What URL (if any) are you using?
  • Do you get an error message of any kind?

bel12

n3wb
Reaction score
What camera is it? Some are proprietary and need their software to run it, so if the other PC doesn't have it, then it won't work.

Or it is a networking permission issue.
Some Imou (Dahua) models, they all stream RTSP without a problem on the local network, the problem only starts when I try to stream it to the PC which is connected via the Powerline.
Connection failed:

VLC could not connect to "192.168.1.7:554".

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'rtsp:/USERNAME:pASSWORD@192.168.1.7/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=00&authbasic=YWRtaW46TDIyODc1RjE='. Check the log for details.

Last edited:

bel12

n3wb
Reaction score
Please clarify "...it just doesn't work":
  • How are you trying to stream RTSP from the cam?
  • VLC? A browser? What URL (if any) are you using?
  • Do you get an error message of any kind?
RTSP is streaming by default as I'm using IMOU (Dahua) models.
the error on VLC reads:
Connection failed:

VLC could not connect to "192.168.1.7:554".

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'rtsp:/USERNAME:pASSWORD@192.168.1.7/cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=00&authbasic=YWRtaW46TDIyODc1RjE='. Check the log for details.

bel12

n3wb
Reaction score
I could basically work around this by using an external DNS, but than I can only reach one of the cameras, as they are all set to use port 554 for RTSP by default.
Is there a way to modify this port? I saw no such option on Dahua ConfigTool :( and their support is asking me to first answer a million irrelevant questions (where did you buy it? etc.) before they will answer (I do not keep my hopes up about them)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Let’s keep this simple and move up the ladder of difficulty as some of your replies are not completely clear.

- Does this camera if connected normally to your LAN operate fine using VLC?

- Power Line: Do you have at least two units bridging your split single phase electrical system. Older units needed at least three one at the router / switch. The other two on each leg of the split single phase electrical system.

If you only have two simply move the one unit so it’s on the same leg. If you can’t even ping an end device you have other problems such as noise, too long, to weak power line adapters.

- Network: Many of the latest generation of power line adapters have fixed IP address whereas older (dumb) units did not have any kind of addressing.

Many units must also be linked to offer a small measure of security. If you haven’t linked and created a encrypted connection you won’t see any traffic. Units that have their own addressing you’ll want to insure they are on the same subnet.

Ideally set it to DHCP and reserve a IP address via the unites MAC address outside of the DHCP Server Pool. This insures it’s on the same network and you know what the address is.

Obviously if you pushed any buttons on the unit hard reset both to good known default state and complete the above steps.

If the unit also has new firmware from the vendor update the same. As this often times resolves many issues like connectivity.

Lastly, if the units are connected to a UPS remove them. If there are lots of electronics in the home disconnect everything.

You’ll quickly find out something is a noise maker / signal sucker!

bel12

n3wb
Reaction score
UPDATE:

Ok so with the help of all of you, I've been able to figure out that it's possible, and have been able to get the stream from one camera via the Powerline adapter too.

The problem remains the new doorbell model IMOU DB61i :angry:
It's a nice doorbell, and when connected to the router I can easily stream it's RTSP to VLC, but once on the powerline adapter - no way.

To answer some of the questions:
Let’s keep this simple and move up the ladder of difficulty as some of your replies are not completely clear.

- Does this camera if connected normally to your LAN operate fine using VLC?

- Power Line: Do you have at least two units bridging your split single phase electrical system. Older units needed at least three one at the router / switch. The other two on each leg of the split single phase electrical system.

If you only have two simply move the one unit so it’s on the same leg. If you can’t even ping an end device you have other problems such as noise, too long, to weak power line adapters.

- Network: Many of the latest generation of power line adapters have fixed IP address whereas older (dumb) units did not have any kind of addressing.

Many units must also be linked to offer a small measure of security. If you haven’t linked and created a encrypted connection you won’t see any traffic. Units that have their own addressing you’ll want to insure they are on the same subnet.

Ideally set it to DHCP and reserve a IP address via the unites MAC address outside of the DHCP Server Pool. This insures it’s on the same network and you know what the address is.

Obviously if you pushed any buttons on the unit hard reset both to good known default state and complete the above steps.

If the unit also has new firmware from the vendor update the same. As this often times resolves many issues like connectivity.

Lastly, if the units are connected to a UPS remove them. If there are lots of electronics in the home disconnect everything.

You’ll quickly find out something is a noise maker / signal sucker!
  • The doorbell is connected to the router and RTSP works perfectly on VLC when my pc is connected to the router as well.
  • The powerline adapters in use here is this set (feel free to use Google translate), in my case I have one PG-9073LG-ZG (the small unit connected to the router) and two PG-9072LG-ZG throughout the house. It is my understanding that most/all of our AC sockets are sitting on the same circuit (leg?) in the main circuit cupboard.
  • I can't ping the doorbell, but I can ping the other camera, and both of the cameras are connected by wifi to the same router.
  • The cameras have a fixed IP on the DHCP binding menu of the router. The two Powerline adapters do show up on the connected devices and they have an IP, but also devices connected to those Powerline adapters get an ip from the main router just like normal.
  • All firmware versions are up to date. No UPSs.
I really wish to ask, is there a way to modify Dahua RTSP port? If I can do that than DNS solves my problem :)

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn’t see any mention of linking the units together to create a secure network. I’m also unclear what and how many cameras are having a problem?!?

1-2?

Because you noted you were able to connect via RTSP through VLC Player. Later you mention a door bell???

Lastly, I’m unclear if you’re trying to connect the door bell via this power line adaptors WiFi repeater?!?

So let’s keep this simple if we only focus on the WiFi door bell. I want you to connect it to your router only. I don’t want the door bell to connect to the wireless network of the power line adapter as this adds another hop and complexity to the trouble shooting.

My expectation is you will be able to connect to the door bell via your WiFi router through RTSP using VLC Player.

If you can’t it’s likely the signal is too weak so keep it simple move the router next to the door bell.

All we are trying to prove is it works in the default state. If it never works everything you’re doing is a uphill battle of what if’s.

Once we know the door bell can be viewed from a standard connection we can isolate the next steps.

It should be noted a repeater is not the same as a Mesh Wireless Network.

bel12

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn’t see any mention of linking the units together to create a secure network. I’m also unclear what and how many cameras are having a problem?!?

1-2?

Because you noted you were able to connect via RTSP through VLC Player. Later you mention a door bell???

Lastly, I’m unclear if you’re trying to connect the door bell via this power line adaptors WiFi repeater?!?

So let’s keep this simple if we only focus on the WiFi door bell. I want you to connect it to your router only. I don’t want the door bell to connect to the wireless network of the power line adapter as this adds another hop and complexity to the trouble shooting.

My expectation is you will be able to connect to the door bell via your WiFi router through RTSP using VLC Player.

If you can’t it’s likely the signal is too weak so keep it simple move the router next to the door bell.

All we are trying to prove is it works in the default state. If it never works everything you’re doing is a uphill battle of what if’s.

Once we know the door bell can be viewed from a standard connection we can isolate the next steps.

It should be noted a repeater is not the same as a Mesh Wireless Network.
  • 2 Cameras in the house - 1 is an IMOU KNIGHT 4k, it is connected by wifi to the router, and it's RTSP is streaming now even if the PC is connected to the Powerline adapter. The other camera is the video doorbell IMOU DB61i.
  • To be 100% clear - The video doorbell is connected by wifi to the router. When PC is connected to the router as well > VLC can get the RTSP stream.
  • If the PC is than connecting to the Powerline adapter > VLC cannot get the RTSP stream from the doorbell anymore, nor can the doorbell be pinged like that.
  • I'm not sure what you mean by "linking the units together to create a secure network"? The Powerline adapters are each broadcasting it's own SSID and secure by it's own WPA2 password. I think it's ok - but I am not sure if you meant something else.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
So for the benefit of others who may stumble upon this thread and find themselves in the same boat. Here is a quick over view of how power line adaptors came to be and work in different iterations.

- Gen 1: These units required at least three units to operate one at the router / switch. Two on either leg of the split single phase electrical system. These 1st generation units had no encryption or linking what so ever. These units also did not acquire any IP addressing or broadcast the same.

- Gen 2: These units increased the output (signal) power on the 120 / 240 VAC line and also incorporated digital transport layer. They incorporated encryption to offer security and privacy. Units not linked to one another will not pass any data. Some of these generation 2 hardware began to adopt more networking attributes such as DHCP / Fixed IP.

- Gen 3: These units added RF (Dual Band) to help bridge the 120 / 240 VAC line at the zero line crossing. Doing so would help on paper to increase the range, reliability, and throughput. These latest generation increased the encryption strength from 128 ~ 256 -> 1028 bit encryption and used different cyphers. They also require each unit to be linked so a secure network can be attained and allow data to pass. Generation 3 hardware all incorporate network broadcasting and other attributes such as VLAN etc. It should be made clear the RF portion was not created to provide WiFi so an end device to connect to the same like a Access Point / Repeater.

- Gen 4: The biggest change in these units was incorporating WiFi to help Repeat the homes wireless connection. It's safe to state every vendor markets and touts something different about their hardware vs the competitor. As stated earlier a repeater is not the same as a mesh wireless network.

A repeater (generally speaking) takes a incoming signal no matter good or bad and tries to repeat the same. It doesn't boost the signal nor can it make a bad WiFi signal better. A mesh wireless network (generally speaking) is deployed in large geographic manner where if a person is in the coverage area 1 will receive a solid signal. If the same person leaves area 1 but enters area 2 depending upon how its set up the signal will drop from area 1 and connect to area 2 and so forth.

Best practices of any mesh network is to have enough over lap where there isn't any dead spots. So to the average person roaming around a large building they would simply think the WiFi is awesome because they always see 5 bars!

Regardless, of all of back ground information there are a few things that stand out and is still unclear to me.

- Connection: How do you know what connection is being made from the power line adapter?? A simple test is to delete the WiFi enrollment from both units. Doing so will assure your network connection is only through the powerline. That same powerline is connected directly to your LAN via the router.

Try that and report back the results . . .

NOTE: One other advancement in powerline Ethernet is the introduction of POE Power Line. Probably one of the best technologies invented for the Average Joe if used correctly. :thumb:

bel12

n3wb
Reaction score
So for the benefit of others who may stumble upon this thread and find themselves in the same boat. Here is a quick over view of how power line adaptors came to be and work in different iterations.

- Gen 1: These units required at least three units to operate one at the router / switch. Two on either leg of the split single phase electrical system. These 1st generation units had no encryption or linking what so ever. These units also did not acquire any IP addressing or broadcast the same.

- Gen 2: These units increased the output (signal) power on the 120 / 240 VAC line and also incorporated digital transport layer. They incorporated encryption to offer security and privacy. Units not linked to one another will not pass any data. Some of these generation 2 hardware began to adopt more networking attributes such as DHCP / Fixed IP.

- Gen 3: These units added RF (Dual Band) to help bridge the 120 / 240 VAC line at the zero line crossing. Doing so would help on paper to increase the range, reliability, and throughput. These latest generation increased the encryption strength from 128 ~ 256 -> 1028 bit encryption and used different cyphers. They also require each unit to be linked so a secure network can be attained and allow data to pass. Generation 3 hardware all incorporate network broadcasting and other attributes such as VLAN etc. It should be made clear the RF portion was not created to provide WiFi so an end device to connect to the same like a Access Point / Repeater.

- Gen 4: The biggest change in these units was incorporating WiFi to help Repeat the homes wireless connection. It's safe to state every vendor markets and touts something different about their hardware vs the competitor. As stated earlier a repeater is not the same as a mesh wireless network.

A repeater (generally speaking) takes a incoming signal no matter good or bad and tries to repeat the same. It doesn't boost the signal nor can it make a bad WiFi signal better. A mesh wireless network (generally speaking) is deployed in large geographic manner where if a person is in the coverage area 1 will receive a solid signal. If the same person leaves area 1 but enters area 2 depending upon how its set up the signal will drop from area 1 and connect to area 2 and so forth.

Best practices of any mesh network is to have enough over lap where there isn't any dead spots. So to the average person roaming around a large building they would simply think the WiFi is awesome because they always see 5 bars!

Regardless, of all of back ground information there are a few things that stand out and is still unclear to me.

- Connection: How do you know what connection is being made from the power line adapter?? A simple test is to delete the WiFi enrollment from both units. Doing so will assure your network connection is only through the powerline. That same powerline is connected directly to your LAN via the router.

Try that and report back the results . . .

NOTE: One other advancement in powerline Ethernet is the introduction of POE Power Line. Probably one of the best technologies invented for the Average Joe if used correctly. :thumb:
Thank you for all this info, I guess I have Gen 2/3 of these Powerline adapters, as in order to set them up initially - a button must be pushed on both devices (the one next to the router and the distant unit), then a light confirms the connection between the two devices was successfully established. And I guess that is what I misunderstood in your first reply.

How do I know what connection is being made from the power line adapter? Well, that is simple - I named the two Powerline adapter's SSID 'AP1' & 'AP2', and so I connect my PC to one of them (doesn't matter which, as they both produce the same problem) before asking VLC to play the RTSP stream. Just to be clear again - if I switch back to the router's wifi, and click play again on VLC > it works.

bel12

n3wb
Reaction score
How about a simple, even hand drawn, physical layout of your network when you can't connect with the PLA?
Simple camera leyout.png
  • If PC connects to PL1/PL2 - RTSP stream & ping can only be done with bullet camera, not with doorbell.
  • If PC connects to ROUTER - RTSP stream & ping from both Bullet camera & doorbell work fine.

Last edited:

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Thank you for all this info, I guess I have Gen 2/3 of these Powerline adapters, as in order to set them up initially - a button must be pushed on both devices (the one next to the router and the distant unit), then a light confirms the connection between the two devices was successfully established. And I guess that is what I misunderstood in your first reply.

How do I know what connection is being made from the power line adapter? Well, that is simple - I named the two Powerline adapter's SSID 'AP1' & 'AP2', and so I connect my PC to one of them (doesn't matter which, as they both produce the same problem) before asking VLC to play the RTSP stream. Just to be clear again - if I switch back to the router's wifi, and click play again on VLC > it works.
To be clear the PC is connected to the PLA via WiFi?!? If so disconnect the PC from that PLA wireless connection. Plug the Ethernet Jack from the PLA into the computer.

The first step is to confirm the PC is able to communicate on the LAN. Go surf anywhere on the Internet. Next ping any other network device. Do the same for the two cameras which I expect you will.

Finally, try to view both cameras via VLC Viewer.

In the above scenario we have a hard line connection. This has removed the wifi portion from the equation for now.

Let us know . . .

bel12

n3wb
Reaction score
To be clear the PC is connected to the PLA via WiFi?!? If so disconnect the PC from that PLA wireless connection. Plug the Ethernet Jack from the PLA into the computer.

The first step is to confirm the PC is able to communicate on the LAN. Go surf anywhere on the Internet. Next ping any other network device. Do the same for the two cameras which I expect you will.

Finally, try to view both cameras via VLC Viewer.

In the above scenario we have a hard line connection. This has removed the wifi portion from the equation for now.

Let us know . . .
I have done the test now with the cable (done it days ago as well), same results - I can ping and stream RTSP from the bullet camera, but the doorbell is acting like it is not there - no ping, no RTSP. Internet speed test & surfing works great.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I didn’t see you confirm you took the step to disable the wifi from PLA. Also, let’s just say before you do so I want you to connect the doorbell to the PLA WiFi.

Meaning disconnect the door bell from the router WiFi and connect the same through the PLA WiFi.

Let us know the results!

NOTE: Some door bells that are dual band 2.4 / 5.0 do not play nice using 5G. Thus try both in case there’s a difference. It should also be known some devices must use a Static IP vs a DHCP vs Reserved DHCP based on the MAC address.

bel12

n3wb
Reaction score
I didn’t see you confirm you took the step to disable the wifi from PLA. Also, let’s just say before you do so I want you to connect the doorbell to the PLA WiFi.

Meaning disconnect the door bell from the router WiFi and connect the same through the PLA WiFi.

Let us know the results!

NOTE: Some door bells that are dual band 2.4 / 5.0 do not play nice using 5G. Thus try both in case there’s a difference. It should also be known some devices must use a Static IP vs a DHCP vs Reserved DHCP based on the MAC address.
I disabled the wifi from the PC when connected to the PLA with cable, it's easier and meets and same goal I guess.

About connecting the the doorbell via the wifi of the PLA - it work :) I can stream the doorbell's RTSP if I connect the PC to the PLA1, the PLA2 or the router.

So now here is a question - why does it work now? I mean the RTSP was working just fine when the doorbell was connected to the router and the PC as well.

If we can't find a way to make the doorbell's RTSP (while connected to the router) stream - than I guess this is a workaround I can live with (requires moving the PLA closer to the doorbell).

Let me know what you think, and thanks to all in the meanwhile!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I disabled the wifi from the PC when connected to the PLA with cable, it's easier and meets and same goal I guess.

About connecting the the doorbell via the wifi of the PLA - it work :) I can stream the doorbell's RTSP if I connect the PC to the PLA1, the PLA2 or the router.

So now here is a question - why does it work now? I mean the RTSP was working just fine when the doorbell was connected to the router and the PC as well.

If we can't find a way to make the doorbell's RTSP (while connected to the router) stream - than I guess this is a workaround I can live with (requires moving the PLA closer to the doorbell).

Let me know what you think, and thanks to all in the meanwhile!
From personal experience the most likely scenario is a network conflict. The other most likely issue would have been a poor connection from the main router to the PLA repeaters. As I noted early on repeaters (generally speaking) simply repeat the signal no matter the quality of good / bad.

The line between so called repeaters today is very much grey as some do in fact Boost or regenerate the primary WiFi signal. These normally are marketed as Mesh Repeaters when in fact they are technically simply a boost repeater.

I've already stated what a real Mesh System is so won't repeat the same.

Regardless, as noted early on, one possibility is the fact the connection is encrypted and thus you're not able to make that connection outside of the secure network. It should be noted there are network standards which everyone is supposed to follow.

Yet, its clear not everyone who makes network related hardware do!

A perfect example is when you connect anything physically to the LAN. The expected behavior is to see both LED's on and one blinking to affirm traffic is being passed / received. Today in 2022 there's probably 30% of network hardware that don't respect such a basic standard and operations! :banghead:

At the end of the day it works so be happy! :thumb:

Rock On . . . :headbang: