Trying to source replacement housing (IPC-HDW5231R-ZE)

tanGee

n3wb
Reaction score
I was switching a few IPC-HDW5231R-ZE cameras for IPC-T5442T-ZE recently to make use of the AI functionality and when I went to relocate one of the 5231s the little screw that stops the camera ball from moving in its mount was seized due to weathering. I have tried many different things and have come to the conclusion that I won't be able to get the screw out to change the camera position.

Is there anywhere/anyone I might be able to source a replacement mount/housing (i.e. the part of the 5231 that's left once you take the camera "ball" out) from? That way I figure I can just take a hacksaw to the old one to get the ball out and put it in the replacement.

Thanks in advance!

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Try drilling it out.
I don't know the size of that grab(set) screw, maybe somebody knows and will let you know. Maybe you could measure it with something.
You can drill it out with a drill bit for that size thread. For example, if it's M4 x 0.7, then you would use a 3.3mm drill bit.
Then, you can clean out the thread with a tap.
You could also try out a left hand drill bit, It may unscrew it as you drill with it.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
Just be careful, because when you drill, don't push to much on it. The screw tries to come upwards.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd try some Kroil on it for a few days to see if it'll loosen. The problem is the dis-similar metals, the stainless of the screw with the "mystery metal" of the housing. Throw in some moisture and heavy oxidation happens. Kroil should loosen it enough to back it out unless you've already stripped it.

tanGee

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't think removal of the screw is an option anymore. I had previously tried WD-40 to no avail. I also tried a left-handed thread screw extractor which ended up shearing under the turning force and I now have a piece of (I'm assuming) hardened steel stuck in what was left of the screw head. At this point I don't think I can get anything in there to help me remove the screw (although I'm open to fancy ideas!).

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't think removal of the screw is an option anymore. I had previously tried WD-40 to no avail. I also tried a left-handed thread screw extractor which ended up shearing under the turning force and I now have a piece of (I'm assuming) hardened steel stuck in what was left of the screw head. At this point I don't think I can get anything in there to help me remove the screw (although I'm open to fancy ideas!).
You can always completely drill it out using a bigger bit, then re-tap the new hole with proper threading for a larger set screw. The original is pretty small, so the new hole would not need to be that much larger.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To drill it out you'll need, at a bare minimum, a good drill press, a vice on the drill press table to hold the camera housing rock solid, some cutting oil and a lot of patience since you'll need to slow the bit speed quite a bit to get through that hardened steel.

tibimakai

Known around here
Reaction score
That hardened steel piece can't be drilled out, he is right.
How about using the smallest hole saw? It will be hard, since the pilot drill bit can't be used. This could be done on a drill press/milling machine only.
Or maybe you can find on Ebay a broken camera.