Trying to understand 44xx camera model-number format

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out how to decode the model numbers on the 44xx line of Dahau cameras, and if certain combination of model sequences actually exist. So for starters, the model will begin with either (a) or (b) where

(a) DH-IPC-HDBW
(b) DH-IPC-HDW
(c) DH-IPC-HFW

So right off the bat:
- what does the "B" indicate?
- what is the difference between HDW and HFW?
- are there any other varients of the HDW/HFW sequence?

I can probably partially answer this, because it appears that HDW are a turrent or dome-type camera, and the HFW is a forward-facing box mounted on a strut or arm, an example being the DH-IPC-HFW4436M-AS-I1.

Next we have (c) the 44xx sequence, such as:

I believe the second digit (4 in these cases) is the megapixel count. I don't know what the first digit (also a 4) or the third or fourth digits represents. I'm more interested in the 443x line of cameras, and would like to know the difference between the 4431 vs 4436.

Next we have (d) the first letter-code sequence, such as:

- C
- R
- M
- EM
- (nothing)

The "C" code only appears, as far as I can tell, in one specific model: IPC-HDW4431C-A. The R might indicate a dome-style camera, and the M might indicate turret style (and if so, then C would also indicate turret).

The second letter-code sequence (e) will likely be one of these:

- A
- AS

I'm not sure if there are other variations. The S seems to indicate on-board SD-card support, and maybe one or two other things. Again, very few camera models are just "A". I'm guessing that A indicates one-way audio (ie- built-in mic).

And as far as I know, there is a third (and final?) code sequence (f) that can be present, an example being DH-IPC-HFW4436M-AS-I1:

- I1

What that denotes, I have no idea.

Some of the optional features, abilities or components these cameras have are:

- on-board micro-SD card
- motorized vari-focal lens
- 2-way audio (camera has a built-in mic and audio-out cable)
- 1-way audio (just a built-in mic)
- no audio?
- alarm input (or output?) consisting of a dedicated wire/cable (2-wire?)
- POE vs non-POE (unless all these cameras are POE, then this ability must be denoted by one of the letter codes I would think)

Here are some examples that can be found for sale on-line:

IPC-HDBW4421-AS
IPC-HDW4421EM-AS
IPC-HDBW4431R-S
IPC-HDBW4431R
IPC-HDBW4431C-A
IPC-HDBW4431R-AS
IPC-HDBW4436R-AS
IPC-HFW4436M-AS-I1

What I'm trying to figure out is this: If the HDBW4431C-A turret camera had a working SD-card slot, 2-way audio and alarm connection, what would the model-number be?

sumguy

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your chart does not explain:

- the difference between 4431 and 4436 cameras

- how a turrent-style camera is denoted. According to your chart, the IPC-HDBW4431C-A is a "dome" type camera because of the "DB" in the model number. I think that "dome" means having a clear plastic cup covering the camera. The IPC-HDBW4431C-A is not a dome camera - it's a turret camera.

- interesting that your chart skips over the "4" in the resolution list.

- the "function" number is, according to your chart, either 0 or 1. So the IPC-HDBW4431C-A is a 1, indicating "WDR" - what-ever that means. Then what does "6" mean? It's not in the chart.

- The first letter after the 4-digit camera number is for "case sequence". If so, there are at least 4 sequences (E, M, R and C). Can we attach a description to these?

- The second letter indicates video format and should be either P or N. I don't see either of these letters in the camera models I've listed.

- The letter after the dash is supposed to indicate a feature. A for audio is not sufficient to denote the difference between mic-only and mic+audio out (for 2-way audio). S for SD card is correct from what I see.

So to summarize, your chart:

- does not explain the difference between 4431 and 4436 cameras
- does not explain what would indicate 1-way vs 2-way audio
- does not explain what would indicate alarm in/out connection
- does not describe a turret vs dome style housing

Maybe Dahau uses the term "vandal-proof fixed dome" to describe a turret-style housing?

So what would be the full exact model number for a 4431 (or 4436) camera with

- turret housing
- SD card support
- 2-way audio
- alarm connections

?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
chill.. it is a little dated but still quite valid..

HDBW = Plastic Dome, HDW = Turret style, the C case sequence indicates the turret your interested in.. those model #'s with HDBW are erroneous.

WDR means it has real 120db WDR instead of Digital WDR (DWDR), dunno what 6 means.. probably faster processor from the looks of it

HDW:
S = Eyeball
C = LXIR Turret
M = Eyeball Variation

HFW:
S = Mini Bullet
D = Square LXIR Bullet
M = Square Bullet w/Hidden LXIR

ad nausea.. lots of cases, some w/different combos only some chars reused depending on model..

P and N will only appear on models avilable in both markets, if its only limited to a single market it'll either be P or N by default and no need to indicate in model #

2-Way audio does not exist w/Dahua cameras, it only supports one way at a time.. A indicates it has audio, check specs for what kind of audio and connections.

Alarm does not have a model # indicator, usually comes with -AS or -I

The camera model you want does not exist.. turrets rarely come with external audio or alarm.. this is largely why I keep installing bullets.

if it did exist it'd likely be IPC-HDW443[1|6]C-AS

Last edited by a moderator:

a500drvr

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Nayr..been wondering this since I joined the site as well..... admins should make this post sticky

Panopticon

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
WDR means it has real 120db WDR instead of Digital WDR (DWDR)
What I want to know is why Dahua 12 Megapixel Cameras (as far as I can see) use Digital WDR (done in the cameras CPU) instead of real WDR (done in the image sensor chip).

8 Megapixel Dahua Cameras have real 120dB WDR but pay more for 12 Megapixel and it is only DWDR.

Who makes 12 Megapixel Cameras with real WDR?