Trying to understand Web Viewing of clips

owenmpk

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Gang and thanks for being here, I am new to the security camera world so on a steep learning curve.
I have setup a system using BI and working through kinks with Ken but this is a question that it do not want to bother Ken with.
I now have a month of recordings from Analog Cameras and 9 IP cameras and took like when viewing from the web i can only see clips that are stored on the local hard drive not on the NAS which holds the Storage folder.
Am i correct or is something not working / setup correctly.
I can view both areas with no issues from within BI on the local system.
Also when accessing from the web I am using an account with Administrator permissions.

thanks

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is your NAS mapped to a local drive letter or are you accessing it through a UNC path (//server/folder/file)? If it is mapped to a local drive letter it should not behave any differently than local storage.

owenmpk

n3wb
Reaction score
The NAS is setup as a UNC path as Ken suggested because the i am writing direct to disk on the local C: drive.
So this may be the issue?

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah, might try it to a mapped drive and see if the behavior changes.. with the UNC path it knows its on a network, there may be problems with this and thats why he wants you to use UNC as he can detect its on the network and disable some problematic functionality.

owenmpk

n3wb
Reaction score
I had to change to the UNC name because i am running BI as a service
From Ken
If running as a service it needs to be able to access this drive … use you should the UNC name instead and then set the service to run under your own account instead of “LocalService”

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
ah yeah because the drive wouldn't be mapped until login, sometimes you have to give some to get some.. it may just be a limitation in your implementation... hopefully someone else will chime in, I am neither a BlueIris user nor a Windows operator.. But I am a programmer and I know how hard it is to get windows to work with server software.

at this point you could test it just to see if it helps, seems odd that it works unless its off a NAS.. thus trying a mapped drive was a logical first troubleshooting strategy.. learned from experience that some software will behave differently depending on if its working with a UNC path or a Local path.

owenmpk

n3wb
Reaction score
Nayr, thanks for your input i am sure Ken is overwhelmed with emails. I do small business support and know what it is like to be interrupted all day long with emails

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
yeah not a good idea to annoy the developers; in the enterprise world I come from you dont get support just for buying the software; that costs extra. Support and maintenance contracts are not cheap but at least you get to put the screws to them (or me) when shit dont work as you want.