Trying to understand what Dahua varifocals bullet cams connect to?

Jackson67

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, as the title states i'm trying to understand how a Dahua varifocal bullet cameras would connect into my home setup environment if anyone can give me a steer please? I come from the old world of webcams via USB so i'm struggling to get on board with these cams.

I've been looking at these 2 models below:

DH-IPC-HFW3541T-ZAS
HAC-HFW2501TUP-Z-A-27135-S2

1/ Do these bullet cams require a dedicated manufacturers recording box that i have to buy or would they record their output to my PC? (if so would that be with an ethernet cable or coax cable?)
2/ Can they be configured to view on my smartphone somehow? (i know they have a default webpage view)

I'll hole off asking more but would be happy to know that much if anyone can help me here :)

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The first camera is an IP (network) camera that is connected to Ethernet cable.
That cable can provide data and power via POE (Power Over Ethernet) to the camera when connected to a POE switch, POE injector or POE NVR.
The Ethernet cable would be connected to either a POE NVR or to a PC running VMS software (such as Blue Iris) and powered by a POE switch or injector.
It can also be powered on a separate connector on its pigtail by a 12VDC adapter

The second camera is an analog HDCVI camera that is connected to coax cable for video.
The camera is powered by 12VDC on either a "siameze" cable or a separate pair of conductors.
It would be connected to a HDCVI (analog) DVR or to a XVR hybrid NVR which accommodates some analog and IP cameras.

If using a NVR it's best to use IP cameras made by the same manufacturer as the NVR and the NVR must be able to process the video and audio data of the total number of cameras connected to it.

With analog cameras there is more leeway as long as the technology (HDCVI, TVI, SDI, CVBS) is supported by the DVR. On a side note, many older (and a few newer) TV's have a yellow RCA jack for one composite analog (CVBS) video media player (CD/DVD, video tape) or analog video camera input.

Many IP cameras are available that will stream to your smartphone with no PC or NVR required. Most are Wi-Fi cameras. They connect to your home's wireless and stream via a P2P "cloud" server to your phone. With their phone app you scan a QR code provided with the camera and your phone is connected to the camera. I do not endorse this type of method because of the cloud server but just making you aware of it.

Last edited:

Jackson67

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for that Tony, that makes it all a bit clearer for me.
I think POE would be the way i would be looking to achieve power and data at the same time. My need for good (high speed) shutter control and a longish focal length are my main requirements so something like the DH-IPC-HFW3541T-ZAS (or very similar) is looking good so far. In regard to using VMS software I'm guessing average computing power might suffice (?) but with a good amount of storage for motion activated recording , especially with high shutter speeds too I guess.

Can I ask if I were to use Blue Iris would that enable the live image (or stored images) to be accessed on my phone or should I just forget about phone/app access with a camera such as this could I ask?

Sean

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes BI can be accessed on your phone. And to many of us that access is better than from an NVR app.

Most here would not go for 5MP as there is no 5MP camera on the ideal MP/sensor ratio.

1712500736072.png

The 54IR (5442) ZE is a much, much better option.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection

Jackson67

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes BI can be accessed on your phone. And to many of us that access is better than from an NVR app.

Most here would not go for 5MP as there is no 5MP camera on the ideal MP/sensor ratio.

View attachment 191685

The 54IR (5442) ZE is a much, much better option.

See this thread for the commonly recommended cameras (along with Amazon links) based on distance to IDENTIFY that represent the overall best value in terms of price and performance day and night.

The Importance of Focal Length over MP in camera selection
[/QUO]

Jackson67

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes the 54IR (5442) ZE is does look good. Availability of it currently in the uk looks scarce unless buying from the US (amazon) from what i can see atm.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score