Turn off WIFI on DS-2CD2432F-IW

kappa7

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe it's a stupid question...
but it's possible turn off the wireless connection? I use the camera with wired connection and I don't want to keep active the wireless radio, but I can't find an option to do this.

I've even tried to reset the cam (while it was connected to the wired connection) and I saw that by default the wifi module is set to connect to a network named "davinci" without any encryption: I've tried to create a wireless connection on my access point named davinci and I've saw in the ap wireless status page that the camera has established a connection, but has not requested an ip to the dhcp server (by default the ip on the wifi of the camera is set to dhcp). So it seem that the wifi module always remain active, but the cam discard the wifi connection when a wired connection is active. It would be nice from a security, power consumption and radio pollution point of view to have the option to power off completely the wifi module if not used...

catseyenu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You might want to ask CBX if he can customize it for you.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You make a good point you should be allowed to disable it. Hopfully they will do that in a future firmware update. For security you can just change the wifi to a random network name with full AES.

kappa7

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Yes at the moment I've set a non existent network name with wpa2 aes encription. What I don't know it's if in this state the wireless radio still transmit packets or if it listen only for a valid network. I'm a little concerned because I use the camera as baby monitor at about 60cm over the bed.

dmhws6

n3wb
Reaction score
I was looking at buying this camera for it's 2 way audio feature and I was wondering the same thing about disabling the wifi. Is there a way to physically disable it, i.e. unplugging the wifi module inside the camera?

diggler

n3wb
Reaction score
I was looking at buying this camera for it's 2 way audio feature and I was wondering the same thing about disabling the wifi. Is there a way to physically disable it, i.e. unplugging the wifi module inside the camera?
I can't see a way to turn off the wifi card. You can log in through ssh and take the card down but sadly it's not permanent, when the camera is rebooted the card starts up again.

ifconfig wlan0 down

geox19

n3wb
Reaction score
I received this camera yesterday not knowing it had Wi-Fi built in was going to send it back because I'm using this camera in my house. I hate returning things online so I decided to take the camera apart. One screw under the stickers on the back and a little prying and your in. Wifi card is at the top left side right next to the Airgain brand antenna. Long story short I was going to DE solder the card but whatever was lazy. I just took a little screw driver and popped a few parts off the card until wifi networks disappeared in Hkvision wifi setting under advanced. All seems to work fine wifi card doesn't seem to get hot so who knows if there's a risk of fire but it all works just no wifi I'm happy. Still can't believe they wouldn't just give you an option to turn off wifi.

Biggs

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you take a picture of which parts you popped off?

geox19

n3wb
Reaction score
sure thing...If you don't really want to break the Wi-Fi card you can actually short it out by keeping the power plugged in and putting the screwdriver across the solder joints on the left hand side of the card problem is it turns back on if you power cycle the camera. You can also break off or un solder the Wi-Fi antenna which cut my Wi-Fi Signal down to around 42 from about 8 feet away from the router, was picking up other networks from far away before I did that hell of a antenna on it IMO. Sorry I didn't make note of what I actually broke off I had no patience left after installing cameras inside and outside my house and running Ethernet cable all over my attic. As you can see I just hacked it up. Maybe someone on here with more experience with circuit boards could give advice on what to break off all I know is when I click search for wifi networks in the Hikvision software it acts like there's not even a wifi card in the camera.

~
[/URL][/IMG]

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

geox19

n3wb
Reaction score
No problem, man. Thanks for the help.
Since I opened it up again to take a picture I figured I'd make a better effort and make it a bit more safe. Took a razor blade scrapped off the solder joints on the left hand side of the wif icard then slid the razor blade under the card from the top left hand corner. Everything still works fine.
~
[/URL][/IMG

geox19

n3wb
Reaction score
Now there's no heat coming from that area definitely better then just breaking parts off :nuts:

mrvelous01

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I just switched this model camera over from wifi with a power adapter, to POE. I disabled the wifi by changing the wifi password to something incorrect, then saving it. My ASUS switch shows it is now connected with a LAN symbol instead of a wireless symbol, so it seems to be working over ethernet now.

Biggs

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there still no way to disable to WiFi in the latest firmware?

PSPCommOp

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial here, I was debating on buying one for the interior of my home to keep an eye on the pets during the daytime. I didn't know this was an issue with the wifi and now I know how to connect it.

Thanks again!

Reaction score
I think I found a way to disable the WiFi through software, and it seems to persist across reboots. I have the previous model, DS-2CD2420F (the 2MP cube), but it sounds like this model has the same exact issue (missing the WiFi "Enable" checkbox in the web UI, even at the latest 5.4.81 build 180203 firmware).
  • choose your camera
  • click the "Config" button at the top
  • click the "Network Setup" tab (2nd tab)
  • click the "WIFI" button at the bottom middle
  • A new window will pop up. Change the "close WIFI" checkbox at the bottom left so that it is checked, and click the "save" button. I get a "Failed to cinfig server info: NET_DVR_SET_WIFI_WORKMODE = 23" message, but it does in fact seem to save.
  • Back in the normal web UI, if you go to the Network -> Advanced Settings -> Wi-Fi page, the Wireless List should now be empty, and the "Search" button won't do anything.

Last edited:

Biggs

n3wb
Reaction score
I think I found a way to disable the WiFi through software, and it seems to persist across reboots. I have the previous model, DS-2CD2420F (the 2MP cube), but it sounds like this model has the same exact issue (missing the WiFi "Enable" checkbox in the web UI, even at the latest 5.4.81 build 180203 firmware).
  • choose your camera
  • click the "Config" button at the top
  • click the "Network Setup" tab (2nd tab)
  • click the "WIFI" button at the bottom middle
  • A new window will pop up. Change the "close WIFI" checkbox at the bottom left so that it is checked, and click the "save" button. I get a "Failed to cinfig server info: NET_DVR_SET_WIFI_WORKMODE = 23" message, but it does in fact seem to save.

• Back in the normal web UI, if you go to the Network -> Advanced Settings -> Wi-Fi page, the Wireless List should now be empty, and the "Search" button won't do anything.
Hi Cookie. I tried doing this but its not working. I also tried changing the "networkport mode: " to "wired" and it didn't work either. Is there any other way? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hi Cookie. I tried doing this but its not working. I also tried changing the "networkport mode: " to "wired" and it didn't work either. Is there any other way? Thanks!
Sorry, that's all I got. I'm still using the same 5.4.81 build 180203 firmware and my cube cams still have their WiFi disabled. I haven't needed to mess with the ClientDemo app again since my previous post.