Turret Camera

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got 3 Amcrest 5MP POE cameras free, IP5M-T1179EW-28MM.
I have never used turret cameras before.

I believe my current cameras are about 3.6mm and the image is so much closer in comparison..which I actually prefer than this 2.8mm.
But since I got them for free I might as well use them.

Is there a way to make the 2.8mm lens look similar to the 3.6 without changing the location of the camera?

I've tried changing the resolution, but it just stretches the image.

My other question is. can I mount this camera on the side of the wall instead of the ceiling/eves?
Are there pros and cons of mounting it one way vs the other?

EDIT
My current cameras have 130 field of view.. these new ones have 103.. so my old cameras have a closer look, but wider angle?

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The focal length (mm) is in direct proportion to how wide angle it is (smaller mm) versus how narrow the field of view is (higher mm). The higher the mm, the closer the object appears - and how you are able to make objects further away more clear is with a higher optical zoom. Not digital zoom.

You would have to move the camera closer to get the same "size" of an object between a 3.6 versus 2.8mm.

Any other adjustments you make are digital in nature and would degrade the overall quality. You would be essentially digital zooming a 2.8mm to a 3.6mm and the image will be poor.

Yes, you can mount the camera on the side, upside down, right side up.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Field of view is a product of lens and sensor size. Changing resolution does not effect focal length. The only way to change the focal length is to take them apart and install new lenses. Probably a lot of work to say the least.

They can be wall mounted with a few caveats. You either need to drill a 3/4", or larger, hole in the wall to pass the RJ45 connector through since it needs protection from weather or get the appropriate mounting box. That will provide a place, out of the weather, for the RJ connector.

Last edited:

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
hmm.. ok - due to the way my attic is (hip roof). it's almost impossible to get up there and do anything. So, the ethernet cable will have to be outside hidden under the eves...not ideal, but there's no other choice.
I'm struggling because in the area I want to mount this, which is in the corner of the house looking towards the front lawn and the front door visible..due to the 2.8mm, it makes the front door kind of useless because of how far the image is.
If I move it closer, then I won't the see the side of the lawn... Im gonna have to figure something out.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FYI - example of a lens in a camera which you would need to change out:
( fixed lens, if you have a varifocal you don't need to do this .. however, those models cost more )

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
To get wire out to the eaves of the house, assuming you have attic access, a standard electricians snake or push rods, both inserted into a hole from the outside, will let you be able to attach to the snake/rod from where you can comfortably get to in the attic.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to be creative and wiggle around things. Or work like it's a drop ceiling by using push rods. It can be very difficult and dangerous with roofing nails poking through the roof everywhere.

If you have an entryway with a wall next to the door, mounting one of those 2.8mm cameras on its side about six feet inside the door would work perfect as long as you can flip the image 90 degrees in your DVR.

macster2075

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sometimes you have to be creative and wiggle around things. Or work like it's a drop ceiling by using push rods. It can be very difficult and dangerous with roofing nails poking through the roof everywhere.

If you have an entryway with a wall next to the door, mounting one of those 2.8mm cameras on its side about six feet inside the door would work perfect as long as you can flip the image 90 degrees in your DVR.
Well, when they did the DSL installation on this house, they installed the DSL cable (phone line) on the outside.. So, tucking Ethernet cables in the attic is sort of a waste since the main internet cable is visible on the outside and it cannot be routed. I would have to have my ISP reroute that internet cable inside the attic which I'm sure they will not do.

I've even tried DISH network for them to run the coax in the attic and they couldn't do it...they had to run the coax on the outside.

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Unless you pay a lot more, utility providers are just going to do it the easiest way possible which means routing on the outside of the house and drilling straight through the outside to the inside walls for service locations.

You can replace your phone line after the demarc and run the phone/DSL lines yourself where you want them. Cat 5 will work fine.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It has full rotation 180 degree. Your turn the "bevel" part to the way you want the camera to face and then point it that way.

surge919

n3wb
Reaction score
It has full rotation 180 degree. Your turn the "bevel" part to the way you want the camera to face and then point it that way.
The bevel would swivel but if it were mounted on the wood, the camera lens would be vertical. Can the ball be rotated so the camera would be horizontal (level to the measuring tape so it faces the driveway) or does that even matter?
I know you can flip an image but if the camera were vertical, can the image be rotated 90 degrees without any lose of quality?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The ball can be rotated any direction you want. Straight up. Straight down. Straight left or straight right. Anything but looking back into the bracket LOL. And if you happen to install it upside down, you flip it in the software.

You turn that bevel (the part where Amcrest is located) to the direction your driveway is facing and then turn the ball to get the lens pointing the way you want.