Tv or monitor

Xcal807x

n3wb
Reaction score
Do you guys use a tv or a computer monitor to view the security cameras.

JoeH

n3wb
Reaction score
Hope it's okay to add to the question.
What kind of inputs should my TV or monitor have when I go buy one?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Do you guys use a tv or a computer monitor to view the security cameras.
Both. Granted, I use a TV as a computer monitor, because my TV is old and its web browser is awful.

Mobile devices too.

Hope it's okay to add to the question.
What kind of inputs should my TV or monitor have when I go buy one?
Look at your outputs. Seriously.

HDMI is the most common input on a lot of monitors, and basically the only modern input on TVs. If you need something besides HDMI, then you'll most likely need a computer monitor. Computer monitors can have HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, VGA, or a combination of the 4 (but rarely all 4 at once).

Xcal807x

n3wb
Reaction score
Both. Granted, I use a TV as a computer monitor, because my TV is old and its web browser is awful.

Mobile devices too.

Look at your outputs. Seriously.

HDMI is the most common input on a lot of monitors, and basically the only modern input on TVs. If you need something besides HDMI, then you'll most likely need a computer monitor. Computer monitors can have HDMI, DisplayPort, DVI, VGA, or a combination of the 4 (but rarely all 4 at once).
I got the 4mp camera from Andy but my tv is only 1080p. Thinking if i should just get a cheap 4k tv or a monitor to view the cameras. 4k tv is cheaper than the 4k monitor. So want to see what do you guys think about that.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
@Xcal807x ,
Much of what you're asking about depends on your NVR (assuming you're using the NVR you mentioned in your post in another thread).

What IS the make and model number of your NVR?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming the computer/NVR has an HDMI output (ideally HDMI 2.0, although older HDMI versions work too), it can use a modern TV just like a monitor. I recommend a 43 inch model, as 43 inch 4K has about 100 pixels per inch, the same density as typical computer monitors.

It is mostly the same as just having a large monitor, but there are a few things to pay attention to, since you asked:

* TVs these days don't just show a video source. They have their own operating system, menus, advertisements, update notifications, etc. This can be a bit of a nuisance.
* Some TVs come with dumb default image settings that are bad on a PC desktop, like an overly strong sharpness setting, overscan, or dynamic contrast.
* You often get "limited" dynamic range (16-235) by default with a computer graphics card, and must manually increase that to full dynamic range (0-255) or else everything looks worse.
* The large panels they use in TVs often have a different pixel structure than most computer monitors. This makes text slightly less legible, although most people do not notice.
* Some TVs have higher input lag if their "game mode" is not enabled.
* Don't use HDR mode in Windows unless you are specifically using HDR apps/games.

When it comes to picking a brand for a cheap 43 inch 4K, I've tried TCL, LG, and Samsung. Samsung had the best image quality by far, and the fewest settings tweaks required to make it look its best.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
28" 4K monitor here. I find that is big enough for my 16 cameras. I do have a 65" 4K television that I can watch my cameras on if I choose to do so.

JDfromDB

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If you want a decent low priced 43 inch 4k monitor, look for the LG 43UD79-B.
Costco discounts it online a couple times a year to around $440-470. I am using it right now.
One of the good features is that it allows you to split the screen in a bunch of different ways to show up to 4 inputs at the same time.

Reaction score
For me primarily I view 7 cameras on a dedicated 21" display I have to my right on a monitor stand (I have two "work provided" monitors stacked), and iPad and mobile regularly. UI3 also makes it easy to view the same feeds on the living room TV (built in web browser), and when downstairs on a PC on a 2nd display (nice when you are expecting delivery).

decent low priced 43 inch 4k monitor, look for the LG 43UD79-B
I can second that LG 43UD79-B, it's my primary work display for past 2 years, very happy with it, but I paid significantly more than $470 for it.:lmao: It has 4 HDMI inputs so if your video output is NOT HDMI I think you'll be in for some headaches.
It also supports (DisplayPort over) USB-C, I'm tempted to put one on the wall above my work one but beware they are massive and HEAVY, so monitor stand is a no-go imho.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I got the 4mp camera from Andy but my tv is only 1080p. Thinking if i should just get a cheap 4k tv or a monitor to view the cameras. 4k tv is cheaper than the 4k monitor. So want to see what do you guys think about that.
You dont need a 4k monitor to view a 4k camera. Your tv will do just fine. Save your money.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Several options I use depending where I am.

My laptop on my desk has a 27" HD monitor connected. My 65" Samsung 4K has a web browser to use UI3. I use UI3 and BI app on my mobile phone. I use UI3 on a Chrome browser on my Fire tablet. Haven't figure any solution for the bedroom TV that uses a Roku streaming stick+