Two cameras - same RTSP port. How to proceed?

sweup

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi

I have two cameras (Xiaomi+Hikvision) that use the same RTSP port (554) and I can't figure out how to setup my Asus router (Virtual Server / Port Forwarding).
As I understand it I can't forward two different IPs, using the same port.

This should be a common question but I haven't fund any answer to it.

Appreciate any help.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
no just forward another port to port 554, the external port does not have to match the internal port.. so do like 501 = camera1, 502 = camera2, etc.. they all just go to host:554

but these offer little security, credentials are plain text and many cameras are known to have hardcoded backdoor credentials.. your better off setting up the OpenVPN Server on your Asus Router and keeping your cameras off the internet.

sweup

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Leeh, do you know which software i use for th Hikvision to do this?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
The way port forwarding works, it is just fine if all your cameras are configured to listen on port 554 for RTSP. You just use a different external port when setting up the port forwarding rules in your router.

In the case of Asus, your screen probably looks a lot like this:

In this case, you will set up a different rule for each camera. In one rule, you can set "Port Range" to 10001 (or whatever you want, 1-65535) and in the other rule, set "Port Range" to 10002 (or whatever you want as long as it is different), and in both rules set "Local Port" to 554. You probably only need to forward the TCP protocol.

When you set up the cameras on your mobile device to view remotely, you use your public ip address and port numbers 10001 and 10002 to connect to the different cameras.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
right, what LeeH said.

some routers allow you to change the port as it passes thru from outside,
(so you could map from ext ip3:5554 to internal ip2:554 and not change the port on cam2)
but if yours doesn't, this will work:

cam1 has internal ip1 on port 554.
cam2 has internal ip2 on port 5554 (moved from 554)

on router, forward external IP:port ip3:554 to ip1:554 for cam1
and ip3:5554 to ip1:5554 for cam1

responses crossed int the mail :) My point was that some routes don't allow you to alter the port as you forward thru. dumb, but true.

sweup

n3wb
Reaction score
thanks nayr, i'm a bit behind here, do I do this under Virtual Server / Port Forwarding also? I need some dummy guidance..
Will check out the OpenVN server solution after I got this to work.

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
and now that is see sweup's config screen, it's clear his route DOES allow changing the port.
so he could map both external ports to separate IPs on port 554 on the inside. nm...

but yeah, VPN is safer...

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
you click on that big blue VPN link under advanced settings, no port forwarding..

its probably easier than getting port forwarding to work, its right there in your screenshot.. just click on it! your sooo close

sweup

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks guys, got the RTSP solved (just have to check why PTZ don't work over mobile with tinycam).
Really grateful :)

Any nice guide on how to proceed from here?:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
might change auth mode to username/pass? add some users then go install OpenVPN Client on your phone/tablet/laptop and configure it to connect to your router with the login you created..

usually best to create one login per device, so if a phone gets stolen you can just delete that user and it's blocked.

LeeH

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
There is a YouTube vid for the Asus/iPhone combo.

However, I have never got my Asus Vpn to work and have to use the one on my NAS. (Drove me mad trying)

Once connected just type in the IP of the cam 192.168... etc as you normally would at home/on your LAN.