Two POE cameras (most likely Dahua or Andy) off one ethernet cable - best method

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I am using what @Andy_15 recommended. Inside a waterproof junction box outside under a small roof.

Also, I can recommend this:

EVERSECU POE Combiner Splitter Adapter, Run 2 IP Cameras on 1 Cable, self-Adaptive Compatible with 12/36; 45/78 Powered POE switches and POE NVRs
Half the price and the device itself stays inside. It does require two ports on the NVR/switch but doesn't seem to use much, if any, power whereas the other splitter does use 3W.

Allows me to power a camera and an IR illuminator easily off of one port.

Downside is the cameras/devices must be close together or you'll need to make a cable with a female jack/Keystone to reach the y-cable.

Both devices are working flawlessly.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I am using what @Andy_15 recommended. Inside a waterproof junction box outside under a small roof.

Also, I can recommend this:

EVERSECU POE Combiner Splitter Adapter, Run 2 IP Cameras on 1 Cable, self-Adaptive Compatible with 12/36; 45/78 Powered POE switches and POE NVRs
Half the price and the device itself stays inside. It does require two ports on the NVR/switch but doesn't seem to use much, if any, power whereas the other splitter does use 3W.

Allows me to power a camera and an IR illuminator easily off of one port.

Downside is the cameras/devices must be close together or you'll need to make a cable with a female jack/Keystone to reach the y-cable.

Both devices are working flawlessly.
what connector do you use to connect the ethernet port of the adapter to the power plug of the IR illuminator?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
what connector do you use to connect the ethernet port of the adapter to the power plug of the IR illuminator?
I use these to split the signal and power:

ANVISION 4-Pack Active 48V to 12V Waterproof PoE Splitter, IEEE 802.3af Compliant 10/100Mbps, DC 12V Output for IP Camera AP Voip Phone and More, White
Then this to power both the camera and illuminator:

DZYDZR 5pcs 5.5mm x 2.1mm Y Splitter Cable 1 Female to 2 Male Splitter 2 Way DC Power Cable for LED Strip - CCTV Camera - Car - Monitors
The y-cable can be daisy chained to power more devices.

In the next week or two, I'm going to make a post about exactly this. I'm hooking up two 6.5W IR illuminators alongside a 5W camera to power it all off the same POE port (25.5W max).

The POE splitter consumes 0.6W on its own. So, theoretically, I could hook up 3 of the illuminators and the camera for a total of 25.1W.

But that's pushing it.

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the next week or two, I'm going to make a post about exactly this. I'm hooking up two 6.5W IR illuminators alongside a 5W camera to power it all off the same POE port (25.5W max).
Did you ever make that post? I'm trying to determine if I can add:
to a POE ethernet line at the outdoor POE camera... to supply power to this:

without adding anything to the POE port at the POE switch in the house (using only one port?)

Thanks

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
No, I haven't gotten to mounting the illuminators yet. But it won't be an issue. My NVR is rated for 25.5W per port.

The camera is max 5W and the illuminators are 6W each. The splitter is 0.6W (according to the NVR POE screen).

Just remember a y-cable so split the output between the camera and the illuminator. When the device to split the data and the signal is in place, you need to power the camera off the 12v output.

DZYDZR 5pcs 5.5mm x 2.1mm Y Splitter Cable 1 Female to 2 Male Splitter 2 Way DC Power Cable for LED Strip - CCTV Camera - Car - Monitors

rdxny

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No, I haven't gotten to mounting the illuminators yet. But it won't be an issue. My NVR is rated for 25.5W per port.

The camera is max 5W and the illuminators are 6W each. The splitter is 0.6W (according to the NVR POE screen).

Just remember a y-cable so split the output between the camera and the illuminator. When the device to split the data and the signal is in place, you need to power the camera off the 12v output.

ah, so the POE off the ethernet will no longer power the camera? so therefore the Y cable to connect to the power dongle of the camera as well as the LED light?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
ah, so the POE off the ethernet will no longer power the camera? so therefore the Y cable to connect to the power dongle of the camera as well as the LED light?
Correct. Data and power are separated by the splitter. Y-cables are cheap enough and can be daisy chained to connect more than two devices.

JK200SX

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Is there any safety considerations in running 2 lots of poe over one ethernet cable? ie you would be running power over 4 instead of 2 cables, each pair is its own circuit with a certain amount of watts consumed by each camera. Is there the potential for the cable to heat up excessively/cause fire?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is there any safety considerations in running 2 lots of poe over one ethernet cable? ie you would be running power over 4 instead of 2 cables, each pair is its own circuit with a certain amount of watts consumed by each camera. Is there the potential for the cable to heat up excessively/cause fire?
Highly unlikely BUT...
I would use only solid (not stranded) pure copper (not CCA / Copper Clad Aluminum) CAT cable with a jacket rated for the application; said jacket should be UL-listed (in USA, not sure about AUS). Use CMR (Riser) jacket in wall, crawl spaces, attics and between floors.

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Here's my simplistic way of looking at it.
  • It's considered OK to run a 30 watt poe+ 802.3at link on a cat5 or higher cable.
  • Therefore, running two 15.4 watt 802.3af links on the same cable won't cause any increased maximum heat generation (I realize I'm cheating the math a bit).
  • When running two 15.4 watt links, power is carried over all 8 wires, instead of over 4 wires with a 30 watt link, reducing heat generation
  • Using awg23 cat6 wire gives a bit of heat generation edge as compared to using awg24 cat5 cable.

Other factors come into play like bundling and temperature derating. My worst-case fire related fear is a dead short at the camera end while at the same time the POE switch fails and pumps a couple hundred watts into the supply end of the cable.