Typical install for attic access?

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Curious how the pros go about installing cabling with a home that has access to an attic (raised ranch). Do you typically run the cable directly from the POE hub out to the cameras or do you run the cable from the POE hub to a cat junction box and then pigtail to the cameras like the picture below?

Attachments

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Curious how the pros go about installing cabling with a home that has access to an attic (raised ranch). Do you typically run the cable directly from the POE hub out to the cameras or do you run the cable from the POE hub to a cat junction box and then pigtail to the cameras like the picture below?
One cable for each camera. One end of each cable goes into the camera, the other end goes into the POE switch.

In your diagram, no need for that extra switch between your POE switch and the cameras. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose and power from the POE switch wouldn't "flow through" that extra switch to the cameras. If you really wanted that last switch for some reason, it would need to be a POE switch too.

Hub is the name for a type of network device that connected things before switches were commonplace. You don't see them around any more and you def do not want any hubs in your install anywhere. :)

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
All my cameras/rooms/devices go to a patch panel, from there it goes to the POE switch/port it needs to be on. Everything is located in one place for troubleshooting.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks @aristobrat brat, that makes sense that I would need another POE switch if I were to do it that way. I want to avoid putting a POE switch in the attic as the summers get pretty hot here and the attic can get muggy.

Anyway, my thought in doing it this way was to shorten the wire length between the camera and the connection to the network in case of a damaged cat cable going into the camera. I'd hate to have to re-snake wires from the attic , through the wall all the way down to the basement more than once.

@wantafastz28, do you have any pictures of that type of install? What are the benefits to having the patch panel?

ThomasPI

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'd also run 2 Cat 6 cables to each camera location, cable is cheap. You may want to add a second camera or if you have issues, you can swap cable connections to trouble shoot if need be.

wantafastz28

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks @aristobrat brat, that makes sense that I would need another POE switch if I were to do it that way. I want to avoid putting a POE switch in the attic as the summers get pretty hot here and the attic can get muggy.

Anyway, my thought in doing it this way was to shorten the wire length between the camera and the connection to the network in case of a damaged cat cable going into the camera. I'd hate to have to re-snake wires from the attic , through the wall all the way down to the basement more than once.

@wantafastz28, do you have any pictures of that type of install? What are the benefits to having the patch panel?
it is organized, looks cleaner. You can go right to the switch if you want too.... I just didn't want to. Easier to identify for me equipment. I also color coded the rj45 covers for device type and if it is POE or not.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures wantafastz28. I like the idea of color coding the cables.

code2

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Im OCD so ME personally would have ran it up a wall and then used hangers to run it up the rafter and then split it from there nice and neatly having it on hangers to each camera. Thats me and I hate having to crawl on wires etc or have them laying around one day you're gonna need to add something else and find out what a nightmare it can be crawling over them possibly snagging one and damaging it. Not to mention it for some reason not likely but it can happen water or a critter gets in they tend to like chewing on things they shouldn't

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Also leave yourself slack so that if you want to move things at some later point you can relatively easily. Sometimes a camera or other equipment just doesn't end up working out as well as you thought it would in a given location or you'll want to move a panel, change/add new gear, etc. Sucks if you don't have enough to get to where really you want to be. I'll usually tie up a loop at each far end and then leave some extra for the aggregated cables up in the attic before dropping it all down, then nice wide bends with plenty of slack near wherever it's all being terminated.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Also how does one deal with the cameras bulky pigtail?? Do you typically leave it on the outside or drill a big hole and pull it through??

Attachments

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Also how does one deal with the cameras bulky pigtail?? Do you typically leave it on the outside or drill a big hole and pull it through??
It stays outside. If using a mount made for the camera then in most cases you can tuck it up inside of that. Otherwise, you can use a junction box. Or just leave it exposed and zip tie it up and hide it as best you can. There's another side to the weatherproof connector in your pic that you'll put onto the end of the cable before terminating it which works pretty well to keep most everything out.

aristobrat

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Mine are all mounted flush like this:
IMG_2848.JPG

I drilled a hole and pulled the cables through. A 3/4" hole will just barely fit the big plug through, .. might have to wallow it a bit bigger. The smaller plug will fit thru after the big plug has gone thru.

I ended up making 1" holes per the sticker template. Everything easily fits through those.

rufunky

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Mike, its just the mount that comes with the camera. I just checked and there is no way for it to sit flush if I tuck it under the mount. I think I will go with what aristabrat said because I don't want to leave it exposed where someone could hook something on it and yank the cable out.

@aristobrat, thanks for the picture. What did you fill the hole with, caulking or some kind of feed through bushing?

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Mike, its just the mount that comes with the camera. I just checked and there is no way for it to sit flush if I tuck it under the mount. I think I will go with what aristabrat said because I don't want to leave it exposed where someone could hook something on it and yank the cable out.

@aristobrat, thanks for the picture. What did you fill the hole with, caulking or some kind of feed through bushing?
Mine is also mounted flush against the soffit and I used plastic end cap with rubber grommet to seal up the hole. You can see a photo of it in my build thread link below

TechBill's surveillance build

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
It stays outside. If using a mount made for the camera then in most cases you can tuck it up inside of that. Otherwise, you can use a junction box. Or just leave it exposed and zip tie it up and hide it as best you can.
I'm sorry - NO, do not leave these outside if at all possible. The "weather proof" plugs are not perfect. The best thing you can do is drill a 3/4" hole and make all connections outside including the weather tight fitting. Then push everything back through into the house/soffit/wall to fully protect it. You can also seal the hole with silicon before you screw the camera in. If mounted vertically run a bead of silicon over the top 80% of the camera where it meets the wall to keep water out from behind it, but allowing water to run out the bottom 20% should it get behind it. Finally do NOT simply zip tie it up out of the way in the elements. You can search this forum for burnt up cameras because people left these exposed and water found there way in.